Thread: parentheses around alternate chords

Default parentheses around alternate chords

I'm playing with a Piano player who's charts sometimes include two variations of chord progressions.

He notates the fist set of alternate chords by using parentheses around the in-line optional chords. For the first time playing the melody, he uses simplified chords, and for other verses he puts the additional chords in.

But he also uses super-script (the right term?) to show an alternative path through part of the progression.

My question: is it possible to enclose some in-line chords in parentheses, so I can use the super-scripting feature for the second option above? I wouldn't care if either weren't recognized by the player. When I use the ABC button to get to the parentheses, it seems to shift into writing lyrics below the chords.

Thanks...Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'm playing with a Piano player who's charts sometimes include two variations of chord progressions.

He notates the fist set of alternate chords by using parentheses around the in-line optional chords. For the first time playing the melody, he uses simplified chords, and for other verses he puts the additional chords in.

But he also uses super-script (the right term?) to show an alternative path through part of the progression.

My question: is it possible to enclose some in-line chords in parentheses, so I can use the super-scripting feature for the second option above? I wouldn't care if either weren't recognized by the player. When I use the ABC button to get to the parentheses, it seems to shift into writing lyrics below the chords.

Thanks...Lyle
    Yes, the text mode's default position is under the chords. Using the text-position buttons displayed while in text mode, you can raise the position of text characters.

This example shows two sets of alternate changes in addition to the main chords:

Parentheses Test - Example

By using the alternate chord feature rather than text, the chords above the line will transpose with the chart.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-30-2016 at 09:21 PM.