Thread: Chord simplification

Default Chord simplification

Hi folks. I'm new here. Loving iRealb. Had a question about chord input. If I enter a Bb-7 chord into a new tune, it sometimes shows up as the enharmonic spelling of A#-7 when transposed. Is there a way (like in finale) where you can simplify chord spellings so you can read practical spellings?

Thanks!

We have looked at this a few times but it is reasonably complex. As you might realize, just replacing a single chord (letter) with the other (Cb to B, A# to Bb etc.) has to take into account II-V-I progressions, any other previous or following transpositions/progressions, the key (or not), and perhaps the transposing instrument.
    If it is a specific transpose you use regularly, you can lock the song in that key (song edit>info) and enharmonically change any chords needed (however you might need to have the transposing instrument set to C otherwise it will transpose again.)

We do hope to spend more time on this in the future. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi

First, thak you and congratulations on this app! It is great and I'm turning my students on to it.

Regarding transpositions; Perhaps some kind of 'unlocking' would work. I'm not a coder so this may not make any sense. It is the sharps that seem to be the problem for Bb instruments (I haven't looked at Eb transpositions as I play a Bb horn) The II V's can become mixed the way it is now and it is really strange to see a D# or G# major chord.