Thread: Feature requests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have started to gig again (solo piano) and am using iReal Pro with about half of the tunes I play. For each gig, I prepare a playlist. I also have lists of tunes to choose from. Thus, I am beginning to have many playlists, which contain some of the same songs from list to list. I now find that there is little facility to edit, merge, and compare playlists within iReal Pro. I have partially solved the problem by using the Share feature to e-mail each playlist to my computer, saving the attached playlist to a file, and printing the file with a pdf printer driver to create pdfs of a list of the titles within each playlist. OK--so now I can more easily compare what's in each playlist, but I still can't merge the playlists. Nor can I go to a song title and find out if it is a playlist(s), and which list(s) it is in.
    Back in September, I made a request of a similar kind (see the quote above). Instead of a searchable field with keywords, I'd be willing to maintain a number of playlists with different characteristics if I could identify which playlists any song were in, and if I could also do standard database-type manipulations on the lists. With thousands of songs on our devices, we need to be able to sort and filter them in various ways. I think that using playlists would be more reliable, because tags can be misspelled when entered, making them useless, whereas a song either is in a playlist or it isn't. In any case, I do hope that something can be done to help us manage these large song collections. I agree with Bob that appending notes in the title is not an efficient system, and adds information that another would find superfluous when a chord chart is downloaded.
    Last edited by Keith88; 11-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Default Nested playlist folders

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    Back in September, I made a request of a similar kind. Instead of a searchable field with keywords, I'd be willing to maintain a number of playlists with different characteristics if I could identify which playlists any song were in, and if I could also do standard database-type manipulations on the lists. With thousands of songs on our devices, we need to be able to sort and filter them in various ways. I think that using playlists would be more reliable, because tags can be misspelled when entered, making them useless, whereas a song either is in a playlist or it isn't. In any case, I do hope that something can be done to help us manage these large song collections.
    As a follow-up to yesterday's post, I quote some of my post from 11/17/2014. As a further headache for our beleaguered developers, I have a further suggestion: nested folders for playlists. I'm starting to amass too many playlists to easily handle. For example, I have a different playlist for each gig I play. I also have playlists for singers, tunes I'm working on, exercises, etc. It would be great if I had the ability to have a folder named "Gig Playlists" and put all of my playlists for previous gigs in this folder; likewise for other groups of playlists. I could, of course, back up each individual playlist on my desktop computer and then delete the playlist on my iPad, but this would mean that if I wanted to restore a playlist, I'd be downloading copies of chord charts that are already on my iPad, making a mess of my song collection with unnecessary duplicates. This request, as well as others, probably requires a lot of non-musical work (=programming) by the development team, as I well know. However, this is a thread for feature requests…