Thread: Chord thoughts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OK. Here's a few suggestions....

1. More chord types.
    Maj7b5
    Min13
    Dom7b5/#5
    Etc., etc.

More triads with added extensions: E.g. C(addb9), Cm(add11), etc. etc.

Actually, a chord-type builder where the user can specify the exact chord construction he/she wants for any chord symbol would be the ultimate way to go.
    E.g. C(sus#4) could be specified as C F# G.
    [Of course the bass lines would have to be able to constrain themselves to these newly defined chords too.]
    Etc., etc.

2. One of the 2 settings for Embellished Chords during Playback affects the relationship between the bass note and the chord voicing such that the root is sometimes omitted from the chord voicing.
    I'm not sure if it's the on or the off setting.
    This often yields unintended results with slash chords.
    I'd rather have the root always present in the chord voicing no matter what the bass note is.

3. I'd like to have the ability to constrain the bass lines to the chord tones within the chord symbol or to a specified chord-scale.
    E.g. Sometimes on a written dom7 chord with alterations I'll hear a violation of those altered extensions in the bass line.
    E.g. A descending bass line on a written C7b5 chord might have an A nat in it when the tune is calling out for the whole tone scale.
    [Note: C7b5 specifically might not be a good example of this.
    I'd have to fish around to find one that always seems to bug me.]
    Now, I realize that this is something that real bass players might do too in the real world.
    But if you're practicing a chord-scale relationship over C7b5 that doesn't have the A nat in it, it can mess up your ears.

4. More control over the dual Style Playback Styles, e.g Latin/Swing.
    Very often that style will work as expected on the 1st pass through the form but not on subsequent passes.
    Actually, what would be better would be if the user could simply specify the Playback Style he/she wants at every point in the tune.

5. The ability to have chord shots on upbeats would be great.
    One way might be to halve the space taken up by each timing segment within a measure so that, say, a 4/4 measure would have 8 time divisions rather than 2 or 4.
    I.e. Expanding a 4/4 measure to 4 segments allows you to put a chord on beats 2 or 4.
    Increasing that to 8 segments could allow for chords to change on the upbeats too.
    But 8 normal sized segments would take up a lot of room which is why I'm suggesting being able to halve the amount of space they take up.

My guess is that many of these suggestions simply won't be possible with the current architecture of the app, or we would have seen them by now.
    I just thought I'd ask anyway.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-06-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion