Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
The GGB looks just like The Ultimate Fake Book and The Best Fake Book. They're all vanilla chords. Experienced pianists wouldn't play those vanilla chords. The best chords are in the three New Real Books and The Standards Real Book. Check out some of the reharms by Engelbach (excuse the spelling), myself (Raymb1) and a few others on this forum. If you're a jazz player, the chords in the GGB are standard vanilla chords. Look for Stella By Starlight in the forum. You'll never find those chords in any fake book. Many of the songs included in the iReal downloads have better chords than the GGB.
Touchy, aren't we? Damn, yes I am a jazz player, and what people (including you) regard as 'vanilla' chords is subjective. I'm glad that you know what experienced piano players would and wouldn't play. I don't really care. A fake book is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. I like the GGB and from what I gather, there are others here that do too. Does it have the perfect changes for all the tunes? No, I'm sure there are some tunes that don't have world's best changes. However, I haved used this book to gig with for the past 10 years and it's has proved convenient to have a book with as many tunes as this has and those contained in the GGB generally have very useable changes.

Whether anyone cares to have this as a collection here was the question someone brought up. Personally, I really don't give a hoot. I am fully capable of writing out charts the way I like them on my own. It was just a suggestion.

Doc Dosco