Thread: Printing with Mac version

Default Printing with Mac version

Hi,
    I have the IOS version of this and love it, but I've tried printing the charts on 8.5 x 11 from IOS and they are low res and don't fit the page well at all.

Is the Mac version different? In other words, will a chart printed from the mac version on 8.5 x 11 sheet fit the page and be useable in a chart book for gigs? (ie not look long and thin on the page)

Thanks
    Last edited by asalvo; 02-11-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asalvo View Post
    Is the Mac version different? In other words, will a chart printed from the mac version on 8.5 x 11 sheet fit the page and be useable in a chart book for gigs? (ie not look long and thin on the page)...
    There are two factors here.
    Yes printing from iReal book for Mac is the best print quality (the iPad and iPhone versions create a jpg. screenshot so are limited to their screen resolutions) whereas the computer version prints from the font so there is no interim resolution problem.
    But the long and thin look would occur with longer charts which are scaled down so all the chart fits in the screen dimensions (so it depends on how many systems are used - counting down the page.) We use that gray dotted line near the bottom in editing to indicate that scaling will occur past that line - not that you would leave out any chords past that line, but sometimes I edit further if I need to, putting perhaps 8 measures along a system in places to fit into the area.
    If you have a friend with iReal book for Mac, run some tests. If I need to scale up, I sometimes save as a PDF from the app, then open in Apple Preview and scale up for printing there.

(ref: iReal book for Mac v1.1)

What if I want to print the playlist, rather than the songs? Is there a way to do that with a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by mxsailor View Post
    What if I want to print the playlist, rather than the songs? Is there a way to do that with a Mac?
    Do you mean you want to print all the playlist song charts?
    No, not automated, you have to print individually (I have just had to do 75, does not take too long.)
    You might be able to use Automator (Mac application, although I have not thought much about if it is possible.)

Or the list of the songs in the playlist (like a playlist)?
    The latter, Export playlist to email, an email will form with the list (copy/paste) then discard the email or you could do a screenshot.

Yes, that's what I want. The entire playlist rather than the individual songs. Thanks for the tip. Might be something to consider though for updates, when you're arranging a set for a band and everybody needs to know the order of play.

I am wondering why the Mac editor is no longer being supported ? Are these printing problems/constraints still present with the iPhone version of the app ? This thread seems to indicate that the Mac OS iRealb editor had the best printing options. I think it is a shame for those of us who still want to print charts, that this Mac editor is no longer supported.

Quote Originally Posted by bwanicur View Post
    I am wondering why the Mac editor is no longer being supported ? Are these printing problems/constraints still present with the iPhone version of the app ? This thread seems to indicate that the Mac OS iRealb editor had the best printing options. I think it is a shame for those of us who still want to print charts, that this Mac editor is no longer supported.
    You can still use the Mac editor (legacy but it is free)
    http://www.irealb.com/mac/
    (at the bottom of the page.) It runs on Leopard or Snow Leopard (OS 10.5, 10.6)

iReal b for Mac runs on Snow Leopard and Lion (OS 10.6, 10.7) and has the player in it, so this is what we will be updating (along with the iOS and Android versions) into the future. If the song code changes in the future, then the editor might not be able to import the song, or not show it correctly.

Yes, you might find the Mac editor easier to use than your iPhone. You can print directly from the app (it is probably quicker) or Save as PDF then merge charts in Preview etc.

I was thinking to do the same print the playlist, rather than the songs using mac .....well thanks for the helpful suggestion ....

Add me to the list of people that would like to print the entire playlist (or a bunch of selected songs.)