Thread: How to use d.s. al coda?

Default How to use d.s. al coda?

I am unable to make d.s. al coda work on any songs I create. I'm wondering if it has to something to do with the different types of vertical bars in the editor dialog box.

What am I missing in using the coda feature?

Every Time I Roll - Max D. Barnes and Troy Seals

Your DS and coda will work as you intend if you close the final C section with a double bar.

Like this:
    Every Time I Roll 1 - Max D. Barnes and Troy Seals
    That's the only edit I made.

That said, here's an edited version that is less "busy".
    Every Time I Roll 2 - Max D. Barnes and Troy Seals

Delete unused measures and start/end each section with either a double bar or repeat bracket as needed.

The invisible END instruction tells the player to stop on the tonic chord and NOT to play the turnaround chords the final time.
    (it's not necessary in your chart)

Use the small font (S) to make the NC fit.
    By using S and N in the editor (small/normal) chords can be made more readable in crowded measures. *Remember, each N or S applies to all subsequent chords in the chart. When you use S to make a couple of adjacent chords fit better, please use N on the next chord to reset the rest of the chart to the normal font.

The player treats V (verse) the same a it does In (intro). Unless a DC or DS instructs otherwise, they only play ONCE.

These threads may be helpful:
    Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301
    Glossary
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-27-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Thank you so much Bob. I believe you've given me the jump start I was looking for.

I think you also need to know that it sometimes is important to use the double bar at the end of a cell rather than the double bar at the beginning of the next cell, even though they look almost identical. For example, I have attached Bob's Every Time I Roll 2 here, but I changed the double bar in the cell with the first coda sign in it — i.e., the cell with the D.S. al Coda sign in it — by removing Bob's ending double-bar, going to the next cell and using a beginning double bar in that cell. Looks essentially the same, but it won't play correctly.

Every Time I Roll 2 - Max D. Barnes and Troy Seals
    Jack

Default Getting d.s.al coda to work

Quote Originally Posted by Philntheblanks View Post
    I am unable to make d.s. al coda work on any songs I create. I'm wondering if it has to something to do with the different types of vertical bars in the editor dialog box.

What am I missing in using the coda feature?
    I'd just like to add that the measure with the 'D.C.al coda' instruction beneath it should have an ending or final double-bar line (just like the one used at the end of the song). Otherwise, it will not jump to the Coda.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I’ve been working on a DS al coda problem, for two days! It works now!

hello, I can't manage to make a "DS al Coda" work fine.
    Here is the tune
    Love Dance 2 - Ivan Lins
    The DS must lead to B section, 2 lines later ("End solo" text), we have to go to the A section (due to the ending bracket at the end of B), and finally after 9 bars of A, jump to the Coda.
    But whatever I try, after passing "DS al Coda" it jumps directly to Coda.
    What I am missing ?

Quote Originally Posted by biggil View Post
    hello, I can't manage to make a "DS al Coda" work fine.
    Here is the tune
    Love Dance 2 - Ivan Lins
    The DS must lead to B section, 2 lines later ("End solo" text), we have to go to the A section (due to the ending bracket at the end of B), and finally after 9 bars of A, jump to the Coda.
    But whatever I try, after passing "DS al Coda" it jumps directly to Coda.
    What I am missing ?
    Because of the Intro, you would need to use another Segno instead of D.C. which isn’t possible.

Here’s a solution that may work for you.

Love Dance 3 - Ivan Lins

)BOB