Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
The guys I work with and I'm sure the guys Jerry worked with, probably Cyrille too, could go on a 3-4 hour gig and not look at a sheet of music. Everyone just knows the right changes to play. That's what I call experience and knowing the tunes. There are many tunes, especially standards, that sound too hokey when you play the Real Book changes. Experienced players know when the sub chords are needed.
What I don’t think you guys get is when you’re playing a horn or melody instrument and you need to have at your fingertips the entire repertoire of the realbooks 123 and 4. You never know what request You may get and you need to know the rhythm section is going to play the changes you have in front of you .
Are you guys honestly telling me you play with people who have 2000 songs ( that means the melody Not just the chords ) memorized? Well that’s pretty good those guys are better than me.
It is also besides the point. That is not the premise of this thread. I would hope that we can start a sticky thread where people can submit the Hal Leonard (or whatever realbook) changes and label them appropriately .