Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz Practice Exercises

Everything here looks great! Does anyone know why when I click on the links though it goes to a blank page?

Quote Originally Posted by musicteachermcgorry View Post
    Everything here looks great! Does anyone know why when I click on the links though it goes to a blank page?
    Most likely, your aren't trying to open the link on a device that has the irb app installed.
    On a PC you can open the irb web editor (from the irb website) Then copy the contents of the link (not highlight, copy/paste) but right-click, "copy link location" or somesuch. Then paste it into the import field of the editor.
    )BOB

Default More ii V I practice...

This is my first attempt at posting, hope it works...

ii V I practice...

My Exercises (8 Songs)

- ii V by Fourths
    - ii V by Fourths Doubled
    - ii V I by Fourths Doubled
    - ii V I by Fourths
    - ii V I by Whole Tones
    - ii V I by Whole Tones, Doubled
    - ii V by Whole Tones, Doubled
    - ii V by Whole Tones

Quote Originally Posted by Diatonicseventhchords View Post
    Simple version of the classic 1-6-2-5 chord changes.
    This is an identical version of "Rhythm Changes" as in the original iRb app, just with the B section spaced lower - why upload it? It just creates confusion since it's redundant.
    Furthermore, it's credited to "various" when it would be better to label practice charts to Composer Last Name "exercise" as the iRb app does for the 50 included songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpcannavo View Post
    And here is a workout on the bridge to Have You Met Miss Jones
    I cleaned it up a bit so it goes around a bit smoother (IMHO):

Have You Met Miss Jones? (bridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Anyone wanting to practise Coltrane subs on II-V-Is should load up Countdown.

J
    For the record:
    it's also already in the 50 "Exercise" charts included with iRb. Some of those charts are must-know songs, and "Countdown" is one of the "Trane Changes" (I renamed them so I don't remember which).
    Last edited by Kalokagathon; 08-30-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniolf View Post
    Gamme Majeure 2 Oct.
    Hi. I rewrote your exercise because many of your chords were wrong (9 is dominant, not major seventh; the chord on F was a dominant #11 also).
    I put b6 on the Am because that way the aeolian character is emphasized, and on Em I removed the 9 because that would put a #F, not in the scale.
    I also changed Composer to "Exercise" so the chart will show up with the other practice charts.
    A good idea, though, thanks. :-)

Scale Harmonization (up-down)

@Gniolf:
    I suggest you also correct the other 11 songs of your playlist and edit the original post so they don't show up twice.
    My stronger suggestion in fact is to DELETE the 12-song playlist post since transposition in iRb is very easy, and it's unnecessary to have the same chart/song in every key (look for the transposition button at upper right in chart view).
    Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by Kalokagathon; 08-30-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianstevenson View Post
    Melodic Minor Modes Practice in Sequence
    Very nice work! I have a perplexity:
    - I would add the chord quality 7b5 on 7th degree mode to change sound (like alternating measures, or something, like a real pianist would)
    - why "sus" on 2nd degree mode?

Plus, to be picky: style should be "even 8ths" - NO APOSTROPHE!!

-----
    P.S.: I got the "sus" - since in iRb there's no "m7b9" chord (gravely missing, Massimo!), that substitutes well... Am I right?
    Last edited by Kalokagathon; 08-30-2011 at 01:20 PM.

@Fatsax54:
    The posting was great, thank you.
    A few musical pointers:

- those changes, regardless what you read in books (JA ones especially), move through DESCENDING FIFTHS, not fourths.
    Some people argue it's the same. In practice, yes, one could play G-C ascending or descending; the HARMONIC PROGRESSION, nevertheless, is a descending fifth. This is for the simple reason that the V [5th degree] moves towards the I [1st degree]. Think of this: when we count from 5 to 1, we usually call it "count DOWN", don't we?... When you PLAY it, it doesn't matter which way it moves, but that movement does not change the meaning of the progression.
    Another thing: this is why Western music is said to be based on a "system of fifths".

- "Abm7-C#" should read "G#m7-C#" because you're in the key of F#

- analogously, "Ebm7-Ab7-C#" should either read "Ebm7-Ab7-Db" OR "D#m7-G#7-C#". Of course, I don't care how you think about it when you play those changes or how you write them for yourself, but I believe in well-written charts when made public, especially with a beautiful and efficient app like iRb!!!

Don't take any of this too heavily, just trying to illustrate small musical mistakes...
    Cheers.

P.S.: this is an ASCENDING FIFTH progression (not a descending fourth)...:

Major (fifths up) (4 meas)
    Last edited by Kalokagathon; 09-11-2011 at 04:09 AM.