Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
Bob, what exactly does iRP Playback when you enter a C7alt chiord? Do you happen to know? it appears that an altered 7th could mean a variety of sharped or flatted extensions. I tried to ask this question a month ago on the iOS thread, but no answer. I have played around with it a bit. To me, on Playback C7alt sounds more like C7♭9 ♯ 9 than anything else, but I don't have a great ear.
Invitation as a good tune for the alt chord .
In the original real book version the bridge would /Db-7,,,/Gb7,Gbalt,/B-7,,,etc down whole steps
The version I use is similar but I prefer the more precise sound of /Db-7,,,/Gb7.C7,/B-7
Compare them
Invitation (bobsax ver) - Bronislau Kaper

Also , on most of the other Alt chords I play them with the 3 on the bottom then #5,7 and #9 so it's really a V7#9+ .
I have done a few experiments Not much difference.
Experiment alt vs #9#5 - Me AnU

IMHO
The thing we all have to keep in mind is to not get too carried away with complex chords.
The scale used depends on the context of the song.

A really good exercise is to play all the scales with a drone note.
This way you really hear the scale.You don't need the piano banging out every note on the keyboard.
Listen to Revels Bolero or Paul Desmond playing without a piano (ex Sacre Blues)

What we really need is a 3 and 7 only option.
Lots of piano players only play the 3 and 7 in the left hand while soloing with the right.