Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz Practice Exercises

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusConrad View Post
    II - V - I Major and Minor Workout - Marcus Conrad

This harmony 2 - 5 - 1 major and minor has basically chords for trainning major and minor diatonic scale, harmonic minor scale and melodic minor scale.

For...
    D half-diminished 9 major = Locrian 9 (melodic minor)
    G Alt = melodic minor altered scale
    Cm7 = Dorian or eolian escale

Dm7 = dorian scale
    G13 = mixolidian or lidian b7 scale
    Cmaj7 = jonian scale

Dm7 (b5) = locrian scale
    G7 b9 b13 = mixolidian b9 b13 scale (harmonic minor scale)
    Cm6 = Dorian 7M (melodic minor scale)

Eb diminished = SubV from G7, so just to practice the diminished scale in four bars.

Appling the arpegio for each chord will be very very useful.

Set the transposition (?) for 4th and enjoy it!!!
    Hi Marcus
    I appreciate your explanation . I normally don't download anything called II V I workout since I have oodles of them.
    I thought I'd check yours out.
    ....a couple problems
    It doesn't play properly I'm surprised you put it up without using it first.
    1)you need to put a bar line in the last bar of each staff.
    2) you don't need 4/4 on each line . it looks weird
    3) Just use repeats on the same chord progression.You can make them repeat as many times as you like . use the text and write 3x in the first box.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

I appreciate and thanks for the explanation... I'm New user on this program but I'll put this in the right way.

Here it is...

Intensive II - V - I Workout - Marcus Conrad

Hi, trying to find a 1265 changes exercises, but cannot download. Hope all are well.

All in C.
    8 4 and 2 beat versions
    transpose or use the Practice tool to do it for you etc.
    1265 - -
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

I took Marcus's Intensive ii V7 I workout and made it something else
    Intensive ears training #1 - hear the inner notes change

Are there also triad (no 7th chords) excercises available? In all 12 keys around the circle of fifths... in perfect fifths
    7th are a bit too advanced for the moment.
    Last edited by johand; 02-24-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Hello Marcus.
    in your charts in "Starling Academy" playlist there are a number of errors:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...6642#post36642
    - minor cycles should use C#m instead of Dbm, or Bbm instead of A#m (not really an error, just easier playing)
    - track 6 (ciclo para acordes) you use Bo, but it really should be Bø (VII degree on major scale is half-diminished, not diminished - the 7th of the chord is minor)
    - it is good musical chart practice to put repeats at the end instead of the beginning (for example, ||: C | Dm 9x :||, NOT ||:9x C | Dm :||)
    - there's a chord mistake in "Guitarra 1 - ciclo de 4as": the fourth chord should be D#o, not Abo ( (I choose D#o instead of Ebo because the diminished chord is usually the chord built on a raised VII degree of a harmonic minor scale, or the VII degree of a major scale with a diminished 7th; Eb is not a raised VII of any scale, D# is the raised VII of Em. Also, it's easier for me to think of the chord tones as D#-F#-A-C rather than Eb-Gb-Bbb-Dbb... (chords are stacked thirds)).

Thanks for the contribution.

Also, I'm posting a chart similar to one of yours, but built from someone else's idea, but since I rename mine to generic exercises, I couldn't find the original post again. The charts are for Dominant chords, but one could create from this a chart for any type of chord.
    [If the original poster recognizes his/her chart let me know, I'll edit the post and give credit.]

DOM7 _Total Sequence A - Exercise

DOM7 _Total Sequence B - Exercise
    Last edited by Kalokagathon; 02-27-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: clarifications; addition of charts
    Live freely. Respect the planet.