Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airplay speakers won't play in Mac OSX

Default Airplay speakers won't play in Mac OSX

Either of my airplay speakers will work with iRealpro from the iPad, but not from Mac OSX. (However, my Mac plays both airplay speakers just fine from iTunes.) I've got the latest version on both. Anyone got any ideas?

You have set the iReal Pro output to the Airplay speakers? The Airplay icon is next to the volume slider at the bottom left side. You will see some options in the menu there depending on what output devices are available (or plugged in).

OK, I loaded the program on all of the macs in my house (four). It runs on one of the four, the Macbook Pro Retina on OSX 10.9.2. It won't run on the three others which are on 10.9.2 or 10.9.3.

Given that this is the case, I don't think it's the program so I will try to figure it out from my end.

Dick

do the other Macs' iTunes play on Airplay?

All four Macs work fine with Airplay when using Itunes. So far, only one works with iRealPro and airplay. Three of the Macs were purchased in 2013 and so are fairly recent vintage. (One of those, the Macbook Pro Retina works with IrealPro.) All of these boxes are kept up-to-date with OS changes and app upgrades.

I am going to check the firmware updates on my Klipsch speakers and will get back with you.

BTW, in the ireal app, when I click on the airplay icon, I am given an option for my airplay speakers (same as on the iPad) but also for two other speakers: Sunflower(2ch) and Sunflower(64ch). These options do NOT show up on the Macbook Pro Retina which DOES play the ireal app through the airplay speakers.

I updated my firmware on my Klipsch G-17 speakers (at least one of them) to the latest release (Current Firmware Date: 2012-09-14
    Current Firmware Version: 3.8.97.9236). Still no change (work in Itunes but not in iReal Pro.) I am going to have to put this on hold as I have to go to a performance. I'm not expecting your end to be working this until I can get a little more resolution from my end. Thanks for your help up till now. You are most responsive

Are you able to easily uninstall/reinstall Sunflower?
    Uninstall, restart Mac, then see what happens in iReal Pro—to test if Sunflower is somehow blocking our output (has it had an update recently? It could have older code). We have made changes as you know to how iReal Pro functions with audio devices and Airplay so there might be something we need to check further. We have not tested with all possible output choices users have.
    Keep us informed as to your tests. Thanks.

Sunflower was the culprit. I installed version 1.6.6 (which has an expired certificate somehow) and Ireal now plays through my Airplay speaker. I will try the other boxes tomorrow. If you need the specs on what configurations I'm using for your testing matrix, let me know.

Thanks for your help on this and let me know if you want me to beta test future versions on any of these configs: 2013 Macbook Pro Retina, 2013 Mac Mini, or MacBook Pro 2009.

just so I am understanding what you are saying, have you uninstalled Sunflower, or did you update it and it now works ok with iReal Pro?
    Thank you for your offer for future testing. We have a number of test Macs, probably sufficient for our needs currently, although we can keep you in mind. My comment was related to all the various audio interfaces available—and any drivers. As you have found out, problems can occur with either our software or others (or the OS itself).
    Hopefully your other Macs will work successfully now also.

I just reinstalled Sunflower and it must have overlaid the existing files. I now have ireal working from all 4 of my Macs. I must say that the Klipsch G-17 speakers have fragile network connections and have to be brought back into the network a lot. I updated them with the latest firmware which is almost 2 years old.

I wish the Klipsch software were as robust as irealb

Case closed. Thanks again for your help and great responsiveness.
    Last edited by rjschmitt; 05-27-2014 at 08:56 PM.