Thread: Minor II V I exercise - wrong chord scales

Default Minor II V I exercise - wrong chord scales

Am I right in thinking the suggested chord scales are not right for minor keys? In the case below, Dorian seems like it is wrong, the b6 should come from a Locrian scale to fit into Harmonic Minor, which is where the other 2 chords belong. Might be just me being naive, can anyone clarify? screenshot attached to explain what I mean. thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dorian.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	262

Quote Originally Posted by dancubas View Post
    Am I right in thinking the suggested chord scales are not right for minor keys? In the case below, Dorian seems like it is wrong, the b6 should come from a Locrian scale to fit into Harmonic Minor, which is where the other 2 chords belong. Might be just me being naive, can anyone clarify? screenshot attached to explain what I mean. thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dorian.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	262
    I'm going to reply to my own thread because I figured this out (I think). The exercise would make more sense, in terms of studying, if the I chord was a MinMaj7 as opposed to a Min6 chord. This way everything fits into Harmonic Minor.

(Also, I made a mistake - Locrian applies to the II chord, not the I.)

Quote Originally Posted by dancubas View Post
    ...This way everything fits into Harmonic Minor.
    I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do—if you want the progression of chords to all have the same scale to practice over?
    Hopefully you have figured it all out for yourself