Thread: Print margins

Default Print margins

Looked for previous discussion, found only one three year old thread.

I am trying to print PDF charts from ireal Pro. When I do so, they extend into the printer margins, meaning the top, bottom, and sides of the chart are cut off. So titles are incomplete, and open/close repeats are sometimes missing. The thread from 2011 said this was intentional was in response to user requests? I could see a user wanting to skip margins for display on a phone or tablet, but surely margins are still needed for printing. So it seems there should be a way to generate PDF's that incorporate a reasonable margin, so you can send directly to the printer. Right now I'm using the rather silly workaround of emailing the PDF to myself so I can open it in a program that will do a fit to page for me, which is a lot more work than simply printing directly from the app.

Am I missing something, or is printing directly from the app basically useless?

I should add this is one of my few complaints with this otherwise amazing app!
    Last edited by MarcSabatella; 05-07-2014 at 05:40 PM.

are you on iPad or iPhone?
    are you using airprint directly from your device to the printer?
    (if you have a printer app, it may offer margin settings)
    which version are you running? is it v5.0.5?
    The discussion you read referring to margins might have related to the Mac version (although it might not have specifically said this, because I know we did some changes for it).

Sorry, I was way short on info. I just assumed this was a common well-known problem that affected everyone.

The older thread was this one: http://www.irealb.com/forums/archive...hp?t-2048.html. It appears to be asking about the web editor, but the answer given appears to be about the Mac version. In any case, I have both an iPhone and iPad and see the same results either way.

I am indeed using AirPrint. I don't have an AirPrint printer, but use the FingerPrint server on my Windows system as a printer server. This program presents itself to my iOS devices as if it were an AirPrint printer; it then turns around and prints directly to non-AirPrint wireless print. It apparently does not automatically do a fit-to-print-margins nor can I find options to do so, but with most apps this is not necessary. ireal Pro is the only app I have encountered that tries to print all the way to the edge of the paper.

The way I am printing is, first view chart, then press "Open In" icon, select Chord Chart, PDF, and then "Print". I select my FingerPrint pseudo-printer, and press Print. As mentioned, this normally works just fine, since most other apps do not try to print to the paper edge.

Yes, I am on 5.0.5, but have been seeing this problem for some time now. I just got around to reporting it now.

So is it the case that with directly connected AirPrint printers (no FingerPrint), there might be options within the iOS print dialog to fit-to-margin? Or they do so automatically, and FingerPrint does not? I'm still trying to understand if direct printing from the app is *supposed* to work or not, or if we are expected to need to go through an external app that can downscale as necessary. I might have another app on my iOS devices that can do this, so maybe doing an "Open In" that app would give me the ability to print from my iOS device as opposed to needing to do it from my PC?

Hello Marc,
    sorry for the delayed response.
    I've done some investigation.
    Printing seems to automatically resize the chord chart to fit the page when you print to any normal AirPrint printer.
    I added some code that now forces resize to fit no matter what the printer so hopefully that should fix the issue.
    Please see next version that should come out in a couple of week if all goes well.

Massimo.