Thread: Creating an Intro... (for Ain't that a Kick in the head.)

Default Creating an Intro... (for Ain't that a Kick in the head.)

Hi I am trying to create an intro to an existing score but the player treats the intro as the A section and plays it again. I feel it is because of the codec ending which if poss I would like to keep. Can anyone help please. Here is the song.

Ain't That A Kick In The Head - Van Heusen-Cahn

Basically I am trying to use the 8 bars from section D as an intro.

D.C. (Da Capo) takes the player back to the very top so the Intro plays again.
    Insert a Segno at A and use D.S. instead of D.C.
    Check out post #2 in this thread:
    Glossary
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282
    )BOB

Ain't That A Kick In The Head 1 - Van Heusen-Cahn
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-19-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    D.C. (Da Capo) takes the player back to the very top so the Intro plays again.
    Insert a Segno at A and use D.S. instead of D.C.
    Check out post #2 in this thread:
    Glossary
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282
    )BOB

Ain't That A Kick In The Head 1 - Van Heusen-Cahn
    You are a star, another thing learned and the link is invaluable thank you. If I may impose on you further, I can not find how to change the D.C to D.S. would like to know for future. Thank you soooo much for making the changes.
    ever grateful
    Lynnspain
    Last edited by lynnspain; 04-20-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnspain View Post
    You are a star, another thing learned and the link is invaluable thank you. If I may impose on you further, I can not find how to change the D.C to D.S. would like to know for future. Thank you soooo much for making the changes.
    ever grateful
    Lynnspain
    This solution works on my iPhone. I'm not sure about any other device:
    Go into EDIT mode, click (or press) on the spot (the beat) in your piece where the D.C. is located until only that beat is highlighted. Then click on the TEXT ("abc") button. You should see the D.C. in the input window. Click on the three parallel horizontal bars to the left of the input window. There should now be a scrollable list of all navigational symbols and instructions toward the bottom of the screen. Scroll down until the D.S. version that you want is highlighted, and also visible in the input window. Click on "Done" and the symbol is changed in your piece.

Also, you can use the text feature to add any other information you like.
    Review the tutorials in the app found here: *Settings>Help
    In OSX look under: Help/Tutorials and Help/Help & Support.
    Or online at http://irealpro.com/support
    )BOB

Yes, D.C. does not exempt the Intro; it plays the whole Intro if it's at the top. Apparently there are those in programming who feel that is the most common arrangement, i.e., for D.C. to replay the intro. I don't get that, personally, but that's what they say when asked. But D.S. Is a way around it anyway, so . . .

Da capo is a musical term in Italian, meaning from the beginning (literally from the head). It is often abbreviated D.C.
    In the single-page iRp format, it means: the very top of the page....the beginning. (that's how the player-feature works)

Read this helpful guide:
    http://irealpro.com/how-to-add-an-intro-to-a-song/
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-13-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    ...Apparently there are those in programming who feel that is the most common arrangement, i.e., for D.C. to replay the intro. I don't get that, personally, but that's what they say when asked. But D.S. Is a way around it anyway, so . . .
    A few comments on this (and for anyone interested)
    Assuming you have indicated the IN (intro) and at least an A section (to indicate the end of the intro and beginning of the song), any chorus count (repeats) greater than 1 results in the song being played from the A section again.
    You can use opening repeats at the A section (obviously paired with a closing repeat subsequent to this).
    The Segno is used to indicate any measure you need to return to (unless it is the beginning, where the D.C. is used).

These are three ways to return to the A section. By changing D.C. to mean the A section seems superfluous and would mean using the Segno at the introduction for some songs, which would potentially be confusing for many musicians who would wonder why D.C. had not been used.

I think I understand your argument. Historically (if I remember correctly) D.C. would have been used for the ternary form, arias, minuets with the form ABA (as we would think of it today). Some arias would have had an introduction; but the typical form, a repeat of the first section after the second. Obviously songs written more recently (many here at the forum) have introductions—hence (I assume) your preference for D.C. to return to the A section. But the general understanding is that it indicates a return to the beginning.

Some songs like Stevie Wonder's Overjoyed, or The Carpenters' Superstar repeat to the introduction. With existing users having already created their song forms, it would be difficult (and confusing) to change the player's behavior, without everyone having to check their charts.

Yes, it is probably possible to have two kinds of D.C., but this would be confusing unless implemented carefully, and the convention is only the one kind. I think you might have mentioned Finale's use of D.C. (in another thread) where it can be specified which measure it returns to. I can see it might be useful for indicating a measure after a pickup measure or cadenza or when using hidden barlines for instance, where Finale is keeping internal count of the initial measures as it knows them. However I would think this is reasonably rare for the kind of music iReal Pro has been designed for.

If you have further comments, please feel free to post further. Others might like to comment here also.