Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Musical

Interesting! You nailed it, David.

In this particular P&G songbook. Including repeats:

"It Take A Long Pull" is charted with 9 bars in 1 sharp, followed by 10 in 2 flats, 8 in 1 sharp, and 10 in two flats, all sung by a single character (Jake). No unsung intro. I changed it to G.

"Bess" is charted with a three bar intro in one flat, then Porgy sings 20 bars in 2 flats, then Bess sings 22 in 2 sharps, then Porgy 6 in 2 sharps, Then both sing out 37 measures in 2 sharps. Would you set it in D, then, since it's there most of the time, including the end?

In "Redheaded" Crown sings only the first 7 bars in no sharps or flats, then it shifts to 2 flats for the rest of it. I should have changed that to Bb for sure, just flat missed changing it.

Thanks, once again!
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 01-19-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    "Bess" is charted with a three bar intro in one flat, then Porgy sings 20 bars in 2 flats, then Bess sings 22 in 2 sharps, then Porgy 6 in 2 sharps, Then both sing out 37 measures in 2 sharps. Would you set it in D, then, since it's there most of the time, including the end?
    No, I would leave it in Bb because it starts out that way. Whatever changes come later in a song I would disregard, since - for iReal charts key-setting purposes - we must choose one key, and it would be easier to think of it in terms of the initial key, rather than a subsequent one.

In "Redheaded" Crown sings only the first 7 bars in no sharps or flats, then it shifts to 2 flats for the rest of it. I should have changed that to Bb for sure, just flat missed changing it
    That last pun was fantastic! Well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalokagathon View Post
    easier to think of it in terms of the initial key, rather than a subsequent one.
    I agree. Lots of tunes have actual key changes (either integral or arranged). Mack The Knife and Fever come to mind. Set the key where it starts. If desired, add a text note "KEY CHANGE- up -3rd” or some such.
    If you state an actual key in text, eg. Eb, it won't transpose along with the chart.
    You might add "KEY CHANGE TO" in text, raise it above the line, then add the new key as an alternate chord, that would permit easy transposition of the chart.

If the song starts with a ii-V-I, don't label the key as ii. It still should be I. Remember, some tunes may start on the IV.
    Some tunes start way out in left field and then wander all around taking the long way home. In that case, I'd select "home" as the chart's key. That would help my "gps" when playing it.
    In sheet music the key signature is necessary to facilitate reading/playing the notation.
    In iRp the song's set-key should be an easy way to get everyone on the same page rather than an exercise in musical correctness.
    That said, when the pianist signals "two fingers down" I'm gonna be ready for Bb/G-.
    Please take care when signaling G/E-....
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-19-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    . . .
    If you state an actual key in text, eg. Eb, it won't transpose along with the chart. You might add "KEY CHANGE TO" in text, raise it above the line, then add the new key as an alternate chord, that would permit easy transposition of the chart. . . . BOB
    Another good tip! I've used this with practice charts but did not think of using it in conjunction with Gershwin's key changes. Yet another re-write coming!

And when we say "initial key" we are disregarding whatever measures of truly Intro material may be there, right? As in the opening few bars of "Bess" or "Leavin'" or "Red Headed," right?

Yes, that's right. An Introduction could be in any key, and the main song melody in another

Thanks, David.

Musicals (32)

1. Somewhere - West Side Story
    2. Tonight - West Side Story
    3. On The Street Where You Live - My Fair Lady
    4. Wouldn't It Be Loverly - My Fair Lady
    5. I Could Have Danced All Night - Frederick Loewe
    6. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face - Frederick Loewe
    7. My Favorite Things - Richard Rodgers
    8. But Not For Me - George Gershwin
    9. Embraceable You - George Gershwin
    10. I Got Rhythm - George Gershwin
    11. Nice Work If You Can Get It - George Gershwin
    12. Someone To Watch Over Me - George Gershwin
    13. Summertime - George Gershwin
    14. They Can't Take That Away From Me - George Gershwin
    15. Matchmaker Matchmaker - Fiddler On The Roof
    16. If I Were A Rich Man - Unknown Composer
    17. King Of New York - Newsies
    18. Santa Fe - Newsies
    19. Seize The Day - Newsies
    20. I Dreamed A Dream - Les Miserables
    21. Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin' - Richard Rodgers
    22. Surrey With The Fringe On The Top - Oklahoma!
    23. Some Enchanted Evening - South Pacific
    24. Till There Was You - Music Man
    25. All I Ask Of You - Phantom Of The Opera
    26. Wishing You Were Some How Here Again - Phantom Of The Opera
    27. Memory - Cats
    28. Man Of La Mancha - Unknown Composer
    29. I Get A Kick Out Of You - Cole Porter
    30. Anything Goes - Cole Porter
    31. You're The Top - Cole Porter
    32. It's De-lovely - Cole Porter

Revised

Memory (Cats ) - Andrew Lloyd Webber - Trevor Nunn

Default Summer in Ohio - The Last 5 Years

I'd been looking for the chords to this song forever and finally got around to transcribing them by ear, thought I'd share in case anyone else wants them: Summer in Ohio from The Last 5 Years

Summer In Ohio - Jason Robert Brown
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-08-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Default Who Will Buy? (From Oliver)

A reharmonized swing version posted here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...uy-Lionel-Bart