Thread: Pedal tones in the Player

Default Pedal tones in the Player

I've searched the forums, and can't find any discussion of this. McCoy Tyner's "Passion Dance" uses a pedal tone during the bridge instead of full chords. The version someone uploaded has chord changes instead, which work OK, but I'd really like to just have the pedal during the bridge. I can't figure out any way to do that, but I'm just learning the edit functions. Is there something I'm missing?

Default Pedal tones

When entering chords and qualities in the chord-entry field, if you type a "W" (instead of a note letter) a pink splotch will be entered in the editor which results in a chord name not being displayed (invisible) on the chart and a chord not played by the player.

You can then add a slash (/) and the bass note you want the player to sound.

W/Bb = /Bb You can use this to pedal a note or (in a limited way) define a bass-line or bass pick-up notes.

Scroll to "bass notes" in this post:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-12-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. It doesn't seem to suppress the piano part completely on my Kindle Fire HD. But it does take out the chord color, so that's an improvement.

It appears that you can get the piano to stop by inserting a quick N.C. (No Chord) before a pedal section

Passion Dance 1 - McCoy Tyner
    )BOB

<Mr. Burns voice> Excellent...

I tried putting the invisible chord, a slash and the desired bass note. I get 'Error. Cannot play the invisible chord in the first measure without a preceding chord'. For practice purpose, I want the bass playing one note for a long time. I'm sure it can be done.

The player appears to require a preceding chord or N.C. to play a pedal-tone.

You could begin the tune with a short percussion interlude/intro or begin the pedal-tone on the second beat of the measure (after a quick N.C.)

Pedal Tone Example - Example

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-06-2016 at 03:39 PM.