Thread: Backup not working?

Default Backup not working?

Could someone walk me through the backup procedure, please? I have failed to complete with both email and LAN methods.

I can find Backup under Settings and the process starts. The "Creating Backup" progress bars go through all the song collections and then I get the choice of "share" - Bluetooth, Gmail or Send by LAN.

I have tried Gmail and Send by LAN but in neither case does anything complete.

The LAN option scans and finds my Wi-Fi but at the same time tells me to check wireless connection! I never get the choice of location to send.

The Gmail option has a send button but I never get an email.

What am I missing?

Do you have the latest version of iReal Pro?
    You can email the backup file or put it into Dropbox. Are you using the Gmail app on your device or another email app?
    Could you please reboot your device, connect to wifi and try to email it again?
    Let me know if it worked.

Also check out the Tutorial about the Backup procedure inside iReal Pro under Settings. If you want to import that backup later on, you will need a File manager app for that.

I have the latest version of Pro. I have disconnected and reconnected the wifi many times - it makes no difference. I have ES file manager but at no time am I asked for a location in which to store or retrieve the ireal pro backup file! I have not found anything useful re backup in the ireal pro Android manual. Pointers please.

are you able to send a normal Gmail to yourself and do you receive it back?
    do you have another email address you can add to your device (not gmail) to try sending from (you should see it listed in the send window choices).

if you have Dropbox or Google Drive you should see these cloud services listed there also; try saving to the cloud.

you could try just emailing a playlist instead, choose a playlist, top right choose Share (icon), then Email, then the same choices should appear.

you can try just sending an image via email, choose a song, Share, Image, then email it.

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...thout-Internet
    this describes software so you can use to save to SD card. You can try this; once you have saved it, you can try emailing it.

can you connect to forums within the app? if so, then send a song to forums. Make sure you are logged in, make a new post in the Sandbox forum, in the message area, paste in the song (code) then post it. Does this work?

how many songs do you have? (it tells you in Settings.)

what device are you using?

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for all the suggestions which i will try in due course. However, initially, as a basic requirement, I'd just like to know where to find the ireal pro backupfile (assuming one has been generated) so that I can copy it to PC via Wi-Fi using ES file explorer.

I have tried Google drive. That appears to work. I can see the backup file on the Google drive website although the new folder has yet to appear on my PC.

Back to ES: when ireal pro offers the choice to use ES file explorer for backup, if I select it, it scans, then offers a Hint; Please check wireless connections. Or you can create a hotspot.......
    However if I select Join a network, my home wifi network is there in a list. So ireal Pro lists my home wi-fi but simultaneously can't find it to save a backup to it!?!?!

Yes I can connect to the forum. All I have atm is the big 4 Jazz collections which I downloaded from there.

My device is branded A1CS. it is a generic 10" Android 2.3 tablet.
    Last edited by ricobasso; 03-13-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by ricobasso View Post
    ... However, initially, as a basic requirement, I'd just like to know where to find the ireal pro backupfile (assuming one has been generated) so that I can copy it to PC via Wi-Fi using ES file explorer.
    in #5 is a link with the thread on using the app Send to SD card. It should give you a path to choose to store the backup in - so you can find that same path using your PC connection.

I have tried Google drive. That appears to work. I can see the backup file on the Google drive website although the new folder has yet to appear on my PC.
    Good, then we know the app is generating the backup file correctly. It is often useful to backup to the cloud as another place you know all your songs are kept securely.

Back to ES: when ireal pro offers the choice to use ES file explorer for backup, if I select it, it scans, then offers a Hint; Please check wireless connections. Or you can create a hotspot.......
    However if I select Join a network, my home wifi network is there in a list. So ireal Pro lists my home wi-fi but simultaneously can't find it to save a backup to it!?!?!
    Sorry I am unsure what it is trying to do. Perhaps when you choose it for backup it is looking for a network hard drive to save to. Normally you would either backup to a cloud (as you have - using Google Drive) or send via email (and keep the email on your PC) - or as you want to, save to SD card, then connect to your PC to copy it.
    OR there might be a choice using ES - instead of using wireless, you might be able to select the SD card itself, then save there.

Yes I can connect to the forum. All I have atm is the big 4 Jazz collections which I downloaded from there.
    ok good, this means you have an internet connection.

You could test #1, this is making sure the device can send and receive a normal email. If it comes back in, then we know your email has been set up correctly. Then test and email from your device to your PC. If it arrives we know that works (both tests might be the same thing, you might use the same email address on each, this is ok.)
    All that should then happen is when you do a backup and choose email, it should load the backup file and open your email app for you to address and send. As you said originally, this was not happening, so this #1 test is just to check if emailing from the device is actually working correctly first, before trying emailing of the backup from within iReal Pro.

My device is branded A1CS. it is a generic 10" Android 2.3 tablet.
    You would need to check that Send to SD card works with OS2.3. I assume it does. There are a number of apps similar to this so you should be able to find one that works on OS2.3. If you have worked out how to get ES to save to SD card then you will not need to do this

--- otherwise, if you have Google drive configured on your PC (there should be an app specifically for this, although you should be able to use your web browser also) you can always copy it off to your PC from there.

Let me know if any of this is helpful. Thanks.