Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing crash

Default Backup error - "The file could not be opened".

When I email backups from my iPad back to myself some songs, e.g. 11 y 6 (Euforia) from Latin 50 playlist, result in the importing error "file cannot be opened". These HTML files have black or blue text on white. Most songs backup OK, and their text is white on black, with obscure characters displayed as rectangles. What's the problem? Editing doesn't help.

Hi dflat, apologies for excessive posting.
    I'm just using my iPad2, with IOS 7 and iReal Pro latest version 5.0.4 . To test backup procedures:
    I downloaded the Latin 50 playlist, displayed the first song "11 y 6 (Euforia)" and emailed the chord chart to myself. On opening the incoming email HTML attachment, the text appeared black on white. Then I chose option "open in iReal Pro", but iReal Pro gave the error "file could not be opened" when importing. This happens on all songs where the HTML code is black on white when opened - all complex characters displayed, and starting text that says "Made with iReal Pro=20".
    When the import does work, I notice that the HTML file is now white on black, the initial text says "Made with iReal Pro", and complex characters are displayed as rectangles. Most songs work, but as far as I can remember: if I'm backing up a playlist, it fails if only one song fails, and the playlist text now appears blue on white.
    I'll send the HTML text, if you want it and tell me how to send it.
    Best wishes, Brian (new user)

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowBrian View Post
    Hi dflat, apologies for excessive posting...
    Hopefully I have merged all your posts here so I can follow your thoughts.
    Next post will have some questions and things to try.

Here are some things to try.

delete the complete playlist, trash the songs and empty the trash. In the Playlists window, swipe from right to left on the playlist name (Latin 50), tap Delete, choose Move all songs to Trash, Tap the Trash, at the bottom of the window, Empty trash.
    Then go to forums and import the playlist again.
    Run the send and import tests again.

force quit iReal Pro and open it again, then send the 11 y 6 song again (or any other faulty song) via email and see what happens.

force quit then turn off your iPad completely then turn on again. Then email the song again.

are you able to try a different email address (do you have another set up on your iPad)?
    are you using the default Mail app on the iPad or another?

I need to see the faulty song in forums, tap on the Send icon as usual, choose Forums, log in then post it in a new thread in our Sandbox.
    Also you can see what happens if you tap on it to import. Does it come up with an error?
    To be sure you can upload to forums, you could try with a song that you know is ok (on import) and test in the sandbox it imports ok again, then do this with the faulty song.

the other thing you could try is to make a backup and delete the app, download again from the app store, then import your backup. The forum playlists can be downloaded again, but if you have personal songs, you should check that they are all importing ok before you delete the app. If they are faulty then we will have to look into this before you delete the app - so do not do this yet.

Sorry for the problems.
    Thanks, post back in this thread.

Default Importing failure - tried again as you said, but no success

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Here are some things to try.

delete the complete playlist, trash the songs and empty the trash. In the Playlists window, swipe from right to left on the playlist name (Latin 50), tap Delete, choose Move all songs to Trash, Tap the Trash, at the bottom of the window, Empty trash.
    Then go to forums and import the playlist again.
    Run the send and import tests again.

force quit iReal Pro and open it again, then send the 11 y 6 song again (or any other faulty song) via email and see what happens.

force quit then turn off your iPad completely then turn on again. Then email the song again.

are you able to try a different email address (do you have another set up on your iPad)?
    are you using the default Mail app on the iPad or another?

I need to see the faulty song in forums, tap on the Send icon as usual, choose Forums, log in then post it in a new thread in our Sandbox.
    Also you can see what happens if you tap on it to import. Does it come up with an error?
    To be sure you can upload to forums, you could try with a song that you know is ok (on import) and test in the sandbox it imports ok again, then do this with the faulty song.

the other thing you could try is to make a backup and delete the app, download again from the app store, then import your backup. The forum playlists can be downloaded again, but if you have personal songs, you should check that they are all importing ok before you delete the app. If they are faulty then we will have to look into this before you delete the app - so do not do this yet.

Sorry for the problems.
    Thanks, post back in this thread.
    Dflat,
    I've tried basically what you said and posted details in the sandbox in a new thread titled "Importing crash song", with "importing crash" tag, including the song itself. But no luck. I'll try again, but loading the song from the sandbox instead of Latin 50. Will trash the song that is already loaded before I do this.
    This was my procedure:

1. I erased all content and settings, closed and reopened I Real Pro
    2. Downloaded Latin 50 songs and opened first song "11 y 6 (Euforia)".
    3. Emailed chord chart to myself on iPad. Opened HTML attachment which displays black text on white background (Note: songs that do work will display white on black)
    4. Opened in iReal Pro, but import fails - "file cannot be opened"
    5. Posted song in sandbox. Then I trashed playlist and song, and emptied trash.
    6. Tried again, but this time after downloading the song from the sandbox and not the Latin 50 playlist.
    7. Import still fails. What happens when you try it? As other songs work, it must be something to do with the song and not my iReal Pro and iPad set up.
    Regards, Brian

Dflat,
    I've tried basically what you said and posted details in the sandbox in a new thread titled "Importing crash song", with "importing crash" tag, including the song itself. But no luck. I'll try again, but loading the song from the sandbox instead of Latin 50. Will trash the song that is already loaded before I do this.
    This was my procedure:

1. I erased all content and settings, closed and reopened I Real Pro
    you force quit the app before reopening? Swiped it off the dock after double-clicking Home button?

2. Downloaded Latin 50 songs and opened first song "11 y 6 (Euforia)".
    3. Emailed chord chart to myself on iPad. Opened HTML attachment which displays black text on white background (Note: songs that do work will display white on black)
    Have you been able to try another email address (not the same iSP) - perhaps you have a gmail one?
    (It is possible the ISP email system is somehow corrupting the song file (we have seen this before) so can advise other solutions.)

4. Opened in iReal Pro, but import fails - "file cannot be opened"
    5. Posted song in sandbox. Then I trashed playlist and song, and emptied trash.
    6. Tried again, but this time after downloading the song from the sandbox and not the Latin 50 playlist.
    7. Import still fails. What happens when you try it? As other songs work, it must be something to do with the song and not my iReal Pro and iPad set up.
    Regards, Brian
    I am testing on your setup, iPad 2, iOS7. I have no problems emailing the single song to myself and importing (after deleting it) and no problems tapping on it from your sandbox post to import, nor the single song listed in the playlist Latin 50.

In #7 you say, the import fails - do you mean that it comes in ok with tapping the song you posted in the sandbox, but then you tried emailing it to yourself and the import failed? is this what you mean (just so I am clear on this.)
    If so it is likely (so far in our tests) to point to an email problem, so if you did have a different email address (gmail for instance) that would be the next test.

Thanks for your time in answering.
    Post back here any results.