Thread: Susan Palmer's Books and Student Exercises

Default Susan Palmer's Books and Student Exercises

Susan Palmer's Student Exercises #1 (study sheet + extended jams)

Below are 3 exercises you can upload to your iReal Pro app to help you learn to solo using the major, mixolydian, and dorian scales, as well as the chord tones (arpeggios) for each chord type in all 12 keys. The scales and the chord tones are spelled below each chord; so take a screen shot of each chart page so you can study the scales and chord tones when you are not using your app.

These are good exercises if you are learning how to play over ii-V-I chord progressions found in jazz. They are also helpful for you to learn to improvise any style of music that use chords in the major, minor, and dominant families.

It's ok if you don't know all of the scales right now! Pick one or two each week to focus on, and be sure to use the loop function in the app to isolate one key/chord at a time. There is a lot of information to learn in order to play music well but the nice thing is that once you have a good foundation, every new concept builds on the concepts you have already mastered. So, go slow and really master the material one scale and/or arpeggio at a time.

Here's a 1 minute video on constructing major scales:

Susan Palmer's Student Exercises #1 (3)

1. * Major 7 Chords, Root Movement #1, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com
    2. * Dominant 7 Chords, Root Movement #1, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com
    3. * Minor 7 Chords, Root Movement #1, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

Respond to this thread to let me know if this is helpful and you would like more exercises like this and/or if you have questions.

Work hard and have fun!
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-07-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    Susan Palmer, Adjunct Professor at Seattle University

FREE 5 Year Guitar Online Course | FaceBook | YouTube | LinkedIn | Instagram

Really useful!
    Please post more!
    )BOB

I'm sure any exercises and practice suggestions you share here will be welcome and helpful.
    )BOB

Default Rainy Day for Guitarists

"HTRD" is a jazz standard I teach my students when they are learning how to play chord melodies. Here's a short video that explains the basics of playing chord melodies on guitar. The chart I use in the video, with permission from the publisher, is from The New Real Book, Volume One. I believe that every serious musician should own this book.

The iReal Pro app allows you to remove the piano accompaniment so you can practice playing the chord melody arrangement with bass and drums. This is helpful because guitarists are often the only harmonic instrument in the group. Practicing with the app like this also helps you learn how to keep good time, which is helpful in all playing situations.

You can also apply the same techniques described to play chord melodies to your chord solos. Just remember the golden rule: If it sounds good, it is good.
    Last edited by LeadCatPress; 03-04-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Default Susan Palmer's Student Exercises #2

Individual songs:
    Major 7 Chords, Root Movement #2, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com
    Dominant 7 Chords, Root Movement #2, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com
    Minor 7 Chords, Root Movement #2, Vol 2 Page 156 - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

If you learned how to construct the major scales (video) and you memorized your scales with the help of the exercises I posted here earlier, you should be ready to play over these major, minor, and dominant chord exercises. The difference is that the chords last only 2 measures each, and the scales/chord tones are not written in for you. Because each chord lasts 2 measures, you can use the loop function in the app to isolate tricky scales/chord tones when you are practicing.

Guitarists tend to learn a lot of patterns and rely on muscle memory when improvising, and so I use a lot of exercises to break them out of pattern playing and help them learn to play more melodically. Here's a one minute video that answers the question: What's next after pentatonic scales? Anyone can learn these skills, all you need is the right plan for you.

Work hard, have fun, and let me know how it's going!
    Last edited by LeadCatPress; 03-11-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Default Funky E Minor Blues, with Lesson

1. Work out the chord tones for each chord with the iReal App, by slowing down the tempo and looping each section.

2. Play with the jam track below when you've got your skills together.

3.Here is the Lesson Video that shows the voicings and rhythms I used on the jam track.
    Last edited by LeadCatPress; 12-20-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadCatPress View Post
    1. Work out the chord tones for each chord with the iReal App, by slowing down the tempo and looping each section.

Funky E Minor Blues, with Lesson - Susan Palmer of LeadCatPress.com

2. Play with the jam track below when you've got your skills together.

3. If guitarists want me to walk them through the chord voicings I used in the video, let me know and I'll post a lesson.
    Yes, can you please post the lesson?

Here you go! I hope you have fun with it.

Also check out Susan Palmer on YouTube:
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=susa...%20guitar&sm=3
    )BOB

Ahh, thanks, Bob!