Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: default transposition flat (Enharmony)

Default default transposition flat (Enharmony)

Is there any way to transpose to flat instead of sharp ?

Quote Originally Posted by eherve View Post
    Is there any way to transpose to flat instead of sharp ?
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Please describe an example.
    )BOB

I play trumpet and in my settings I use Bb transposition. Then when ireal pro play chords, it's always one tone up using #. And I'd like to know if it is possible to set for having b chords instead. Thanks Eric

Default Transposition to Bb-Sax is annoying

Hi, I wrote "Männer" from Grönemeyer. It starts with C#m and also has A in it and F#m. The player is set to Bb-Instrument and sets A to Cb and F#m to Abm which is not comfortable, perhaps wrong, but anyway hard to read. Can I influence this behaviour? A should be transformed to B and F#m to G#m.(V7.0.2 pro)
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-17-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion

Default Why complicate the thing?

"We have looked at this a few times but it is reasonably complex. " that is what dflat wrote.
    After reading all the links on this issue I do not understand all the buzz. I say: It is NOT complex.

Let’s discuss this:
    1. What is IReal for? Is it for education in musictheory or is it a handy help for practicing playing? I say: let the guys out there get the theory wherever they want. This is not the task for IReal. So all the talk about I-VI-II-V... or what ever progression is not the first thing what we consider when we play. Surely one should know about this. But IReal first has to be practical
    2. I arrange lots of pieces for saxophone-quartett. Everybody knows, when he meets a e#-note, a cb-note or a dbb-note, what to play. But in fast reading and playing the sheet, every musician is grateful, when he needs not spend additional time on reading and understanding the sheet but can play as he reads. So I allways try to erase these queer notations for enable the players to concentrate on the most important thing: Play as good as possible.
    3. I play a lot of Jazz. The chord-notation there is always with the claim, that one can easily read and play the scales and chords. So it always is easier to play and improvise in B (with 5 #) then in Cb/Ab- (with 7b) or in E than in Fb ;-), even when theory would postulate the difficult different way.
    4. In word I coded a VB-macro, which transposes the chords above the lyrics. It works fine. It always uses the chords, which are more common and have less signs. F# / D#- and Gb / Eb- are pari (but there is no Gb- !).

So again: IT IS NOT COMPLEX. DON’T CONFUSE IT! MAKE IT EASY! NOW!
    Last edited by 1word; 07-17-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Angry Workaround

Say you had a song in G that you transposed to C#. All those G and D chords in the original are displayed as Db and Ab. Here’s how to change all those flatted chords to their equivalent sharps:

1. Open the song in the editor and click the “i” to open the information box.
    2. Set (not Set & Transpose!!) the key to E. Click “Done”.
    3. Click “i”, Set & Transpose the key to F. Click “Done”.
    4. Click “i”, Set & Transpose the song back to E. Click “Done”.
    5. Click “i”, Set (again, not Set & Transpose!) back to the original key (Db in this example). Click “Done”.
    6. Done, saving changes.

Your flatted chords will have been converted to their equivalent sharps and the right key will be displayed if you have to transpose the song later.

To convert sharps to their equivalent flats, just reverse the E and F in steps 2-4.
    Last edited by PsiStar7; 10-15-2018 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Doesn’t work if you din’t exit info box after each step.

Great advice. Works very good in concert key. But when I transpose to Alto Sax Eb, there is still every chord in flats. f.e. Blues in E-concert should show up in C# - F# - G# instead of Db - Gb - Ab for Alto Sax.
    Last edited by hermannhesse; 10-31-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Default Enharmonic mix

I transposed In A Sentimental Mood to A- and there's a Bb- D#7 G#M turnaround. I searched forums for a way to fix this enharmonic issue and kept getting sent to another link, but couldn't find a fix. Is there a way to request just sharps or flats on a chart?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-31-2024 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I transposed In A Sentimental Mood to A- and there's a Bb- D#7 G#M turnaround. I searched forums for a way to fix this enharmonic issue and kept getting sent to another link, but couldn't find a fix.

Is there a way to request just sharps or flats on a chart?
    Not at this time

Current options are:
    experiment with the workaround posted earlier in this thread
    or
    edit the individual chords to reflect your preferences.

)BOB