Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent but persistent crash

Default Intermittent but persistent crash

Every few days since upgrading to iReal Pro for iOS7, I will touch a chart screen in Portrait intending to go to Edit, but instead of giving me the "Edit/Duplicate/etc." pop-up menu, all that happens is the chart suddenly gives me Landscape-sized chord symbols while I'm still in Portrait. So now I'm looking at only 5/8 of the chart's width. Turning my iPhone 4S sideways gives me a normal-looking Landscape, but turning it upright again continues to give me the 5/8-width chart in Portrait. When I then try to go to Edit, I get the Edit/Duplicate pop-up menu, but when I press Edit, I get a blank, black Edit screen that does nothing. I can still navigate around the app, but when I try to return to Edit again, I get the blank, black screen again. If I then try to navigate to Forums, when I press the globe-like icon, iReal Pro completely crashes and throws me out. If this happened more often, it would be really annoying. But it generally occurs perhaps 2 days to a week apart [But now see EDIT.], so . . . . Anyway it's been happening for months now. I THINK I have set it up so that you always get notified when it crashes, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, FWIW. Doesn't make me want to stop using the app as infrequently as it happens.

EDIT: (2014-02-06) Suddenly the edit screen goes black like this much more frequently now -- 1 or 2 times an hour. Leaving the app and coming back in doesn't help - it has to crash to clear the problem. Usually repeatedly pressing the Forum globe icon is enough to make it crash. Then it works fine on restart. But occasionally it freezes and I can't navigate to the Forums icon at all, so a total iPhone shutdown is needed.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 02-07-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Update

Hello and thanks for the detailed info.
    I have not seen the behavior you describe but have been working for the last month on an update that should improve performance in general and fixes many many bugs that I've seen in the crash reports.
    It should be available by the end of the month.
    Let us know if the update fixes the issue.

Thanks, Massimo. In only happens for me when I'm working in and out of the Editor, which I do a lot of, particularly when I'm saving time by copy/pasting from one exercise to another. But I haven't yet noticed a common denominator re what triggers these editor crashes.
    Jack

Thanks Jack,
    Look for the update before the end of the month and see if it fixes the issue.

Will do. Thank you.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by youngeddie View Post
    Every time I play a song it seems to end in a lot of sputtering and I have to quit the program.

I love this program a lot and I've really missed being able to use it for the last several weeks.

I hope a fix is coming.

Thanks! Eddie
    Hi Eddie, we've just released an update yesterday (it will be available in a few days in the App Store), please update your app and let us know if it solved the issue. (don't forget to make a backup of your songs before)

Hi, Niki-

I've searched all over my iReal Pro Settings and cannot find a place to update my iReal Pro for iOS7 on my iPhone 4S. It doesn't show as an update in App Store, either. I currently have iReal Pro for iOS7 version 5.0.2. How do I update to yesterday's new version?
    Jack

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry, the update is not out yet, we're waiting for Apple's approval, hopefully it will be out in a few days.
    Thank you for your patience!

Niki

OK, I'll let you know if it fixes my Editor crashing problem, too.
    Jack

Hi, Niki-

Well, I installed version 5.0.4 (17410) without a hitch, but it didn't do anything to fix this crashing problem I've described, i.e., the one where I suddenly get Landscape-sized chord symbols while in Portrait mode.

iReal Pro still crashes once or twice per hour like this when I'm in and out of editor. Fortunately, it doesn't crash during just playback or we couldn't gig with it.

I can be in and out of editor pretty intensely sometimes. For example, in my current project, I'm currently making purely-cosmetic text changes to all 21 tunes in a playlist. The nature of each of the 21 changes requires that I go in and out of editor five times between two tune files. It takes me about a minute and a half to do each of the 21 changes, and it crashed when I was one-third through. I expect that it will crash again during this project. [See EDIT, below.] Fortunately, it usually takes less than a minute to get back up and running again, so this is more of a curiosity than a bother.

EDIT: It did crash like this twice more during this project, one of which required a full phone reboot.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 03-02-2014 at 12:33 PM.