Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major 7 augmented; Dominant 7 augmented

Default Major 7 augmented; Dominant 7 augmented

Were my ear better I wouldn't need to bother you folks with this, but alas . . .

I need to enter both major 7 and dom 7 augmented chords -- i.e., 1 3 #5 7 and 1 3 #5 b7, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

The editor seems to accept: C+, C7+ and C+7. But it will not accept the triangle for major AND the + for augmented both, in either order. When I try to enter the triangle, it enters ^ instead, and will not play that chord back.

Does C+7 play back as C major 7 augmented or C dom 7 augmented?
    What does C7+ play as?
    What does C+ play as?

Thanks very much.
    Jack

This doesn't address your question concerning the use of "+" but,
    both Δ7#5 and 7#5 are in the chord quality picker.

Augmented Test - Unknown Composer

The first 7 chords are recognized by the player, the last 3 aren't.

C7#5, C7+ and C+7 seem to be recognized by the player as being the same.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-04-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks, Bob. Would you believe that so far I hadn't discovered the chord quality picker at all? Never looked under those three horizontal lines at the left except when in Text for D.S. al Coda, etc. I thought that's all they were for. Thanks for the wake up!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    The editor seems to accept: C+, C7+ and C+7. But it will not accept the triangle for major AND the + for augmented both, in either order. When I try to enter the triangle, it enters ^ instead, and will not play that chord back.

Does C+7 play back as C major 7 augmented or C dom 7 augmented?
    What does C7+ play as?
    What does C+ play as?
    The ^ you see is the actual text character used for maj. If you are on the Mac version, you use this from your computer keyboard to create the triangle (other devices have our own keyboard and you will see the triangle directly.) In the chart, assuming the quality is recognised, the ^ will turn into a triangle - but if you add extra characters for the chord quality that are not recognised as a chord quality, the triangle will revert to the ^ character because it cannot map to the internal qualities we have (the ones you see in the quality menu) and our chord font.
    It is probably best to use the quality menu because these are recognised by the player, but you might find it faster to input via the keyboard instead once you get used to the way the quality should be entered.
    We currently do not allow the triangle with + (you will find ^7#5.)

We allow some alternative spellings, like C7+ or C+7 or Cmaj7#5 but this is not extensive, and if there is anything the player does not recognise, it will warn you it cannot play it.

C7+ has the (minor-) 7th (Bb) and #5
    C+ has no (minor-) 7th - it is just an augmented (5th)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post

C7+ has the (minor-) 7th (Bb) and #5
    C+ has no (minor-) 7th - it is just an augmented (5th)

How is the C#5 mapped?
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    How is the C#5 mapped?
    )BOB
    That is an interesting one, it is a C# chord with the 5th only (hence C+ is good to use!). I am not sure I have ever seen C #5 meaning Caug.
    (Did I answer the question?)

Absolutely.
    I was comparing what I heard while listening to the Augmented Test chart using various styles.
    I was hearing the "augmented fith” without realizing that (of course) it was the "natural fifth" of the C#...(duh)
    I really need to avoid tunnel-vision.
    Thanks,
    )BOB

While we're in the neighborhood... I find myself frequently wishing ▵7♭5 was one of the alternatives. I'm usually able to get pretty close using workarounds (E-/F or G7/F for example) but of course those will mess up the bass line. So, if you're considering additional chord voices, please include this one in the list.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    While we're in the neighborhood... I find myself frequently wishing ▵7♭5 was one of the alternatives ...
    the ▵7#11 does not work for you because you want to indicate the 5 being flattened? Unfortunately there is no chord quality equivalence for this (in other words, if you type in ▵7♭5 as a custom quality, it will not map to ▵7#11 for the player to interpret). However I am not aware of our player voicings contain the 5th, we would have to check our code for it, although I see one of our piano diagrams shows the 5th.
    We are not updating the voicings just at the moment. As you are aware, it is a detailed process, but thanks for letting us know.

The only current ♭5 options combine the Dominant 7, which is why I can't use those. Here's one example of my work-around (on the first chord):

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...cal-Peter-Pan)

Since I play piano (and mute that track) it makes no practical difference to me. I was just considering other instruments, and the improvisational scale option. F^9#11 does come very close, but doesn't emphasize the ♭5 in the melody. So, like I said, just wanted to toss that into the hat.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.