Thread: Style on chart vs. Player styles

Default Style on chart vs. Player styles

For bluegrass, there is a pop - bluegrass option at the bottom of the player window. It is a bit cheesy - not the greatest sounding bluegrass option, but I suppose it will have to suffice until something better comes along. On the other hand, there are additional options in the editor: bluegrass, new grass, old-time - just to name a few.

Why are all the styles in the editor not available in the player? And if one style is set in the edited song but the player has a different style, who wins the fight? It seems that the listed style overrides the saved style. I don't know how to set a default style, because it appears to default to jazz medium swing.

thanks
    Jim

The styles available in the PLAYER feature are the only options the player can use (for now). The development team have plans for more.

The style designated for each tune by the chart poster is just a suggestion and only a label. You are free to call your chosen style for each tune that you post or edit anything you'd like. Just because you label a tune as "Dog-Rock" or "Newish-Grass" or "Whoop" or whatever doesn't mean that those styles are coded in the PLAYER feature (yet).

Remember, the PLAYER feature was originally included in the app as a PRACTICE tool and was never designed to be live-performance midi-tracks. That some are actually using the PLAYER in performance, shows what a great job the development team has done.

)BOB

Default Style on chart vs. Player styles

I think I'm not using Styles optimally. I can designate a Style for a particular tune in that tune's Edit feature, but there is also a feature in the playback menu, right under the Play arrow, that allows you to select a Style. They don't always read the same. Does one override the other? Sometimes it seems like that happens . . . but sometimes . . . I 'm not quite sure what I'm getting. (Yes, I have all the Styles Packs.) So, what is the best way to select styles for playback? Thanks.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-05-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    Jack

The style listed on the chart by its author (using the editor) can be anything. It's only the chart-author's suggestion/description. It's not connected to player-feature's styles. Labeling a tune's style as "stinky jump" or "easy slide" won't affect the player.

When the user selects (in the player) a player-style, tempo and number of song repeats, those player settings are remembered (just like the key) and will transfer with the song until changed/reset.

Currently, the only styles available for the player are are included in the app. The developer has added blues styles and salsa styles available as separate in-app purchases. More may become available in the future.

In summary, the style suggested on the chart is information. The style in the player is a setting.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-05-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Got it. Thanks, Bob.
    Jack