Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Chords" vs. "Symbols" ??

Default "Chords" vs. "Symbols" ??

Niki, this has got to be the smallest possible thing to raise about the new iOS7 layout, . . . but . . .

Is it just me or does it seem to you, too, that the toggle button at the bottom of the editor—the one that toggles "Chords" with "Symbols"—is labeled backwards? I mean, you're already making chords, yet the toggle button reads "Chords," and when you press it, it takes you to the symbols keyboard and the button then changes to read "Symbols" while you're there. All the other navigation buttons are labeled where they will take you, not where you already are, e.g., the "abc" button will take you to Text, and once you get there the "abc" button naturally disappears and you have access to a Done button. That's the usual thing with just about any app, isn't it?

I finally noticed that when I am in the Chords keyboard and want to go to the Symbols keyboard, I find myself stalled with my finger hovering over nothing that looks like it will take me to the Symbols keyboard. Then I remember, oh, yeah, you press "Chords" to go to Symbols. . . . They've gotta be labeled backwards, aren't they?
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 01-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Jack

Jack,
    Thank you for your feedback! We tested both options and it's a tricky question how the buttons should be labeled: showing the action or the current state. We are still not sure what's the best but we will consider your feedback, thank you! If you check out other buttons on an iOS device, both ways work so I guess it's a general interface question. Happy New Year!

Once you know that a button toggles between various options, "current state" seems (to me) to be the preferred display.
    Yup, there's certainly a learning-curve...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    ... Yup, there's certainly a learning-curve...
    Does this mean you've updated to Pro?
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Not yet... (just lazy, I guess)

In my current android editor (for example) the entry field select "button" toggles between:
    >>Regular chord
    >>Alternate chord
    >>Text
    The "button" is labeled with the current state.

Likewise, the chord/alt. chord button in my iPad editor.

That works fine for me. (as do both of my current app versions....so far)
    I use an iPad 1 and a Motorola Bravo, neither of which is the newest technology.

I'm not (generally) an early-adopter of technology.
    iReal book and a iPod Touch back in 2009 is a notable and most fortunate (for me) exception.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.

I wasn't lazy, just afraid. I had too many iReal-dependant jobs in December to worry about learning curves or unpleasant surprises. Now that I have some down time, I think I'll go ahead and press the dreaded "Update" button...
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Several years ago when a new irb update required a newer OS, I updated the OS in my iPod Touch (with the assistance of a "genius" at the Apple Store).
    I lost EVERYTHING and was charged again when I reloaded my apps.
    It was a huge hassle to convince Apple customer "service" to make it right.
    It was an Apple issue, NOT irb.

Unless there's some new feature I can't live without, I tend to follow the "don't fix it if it ain't broke” rule.

I hope your update is flawless and you'll tell us what (if anything) we need to know.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Yes, I did eventually get used to punching "Chords" when I wanted to go to "Symbols," but I have to tell you that even after all this time my finger still pauses and hovers a bit before it clicks in that, oh, yeah, I need to select "Chords" to go to "Symbols."

Why would you ever want a navigation button to be labelled where you already are? Why would you not want it to be labelled where it will take you? What is the rationale for that position, exactly?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post

Why would you ever want a navigation button to be labelled where you already are?
    Have you ever entered a chord only to discover that you had accidentally entered it in the wrong field and needed to go back to delete and re-enter it as the alternate or regular chord you intended? Once you know how to toggle your choice(s), knowing where you are, I think is more useful. That's why.

On small-format devices (phones) there's not a lot of room on each button for the label.
    If space weren't an issue, the button might be labeled:

CHORDS/symbols
    and then,
    chords/SYMBOLS

Your mileage may vary,
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.

I certainly agree that "knowing where you are" is important. But why would not a simple heading somewhere on the page do that? My question still stands: Why would you want to put your present location on a navigation button that takes you somewhere else?
    Jack