Thread: Some Questions about Interlude and Repating Segno...

Default Some Questions about Interlude and Repating Segno...

Hi Guys,

First: How can a do an interlude which is only played once (first time)?

Second: How does the coda sign work?

Third: How can i remove empty bars at the end....

Thanks a lot

Auge

Quote Originally Posted by Auge View Post
    Hi Guys,

First: How can a do an interlude which is only played once (first time)?

Second: How does the coda sign work?

Third: How can i remove empty bars at the end....

Thanks a lot

Auge
    The rehearsal marks In (intro) and V (verse) identify sections that are only played by the player-feature once (unless told by a D.C. to begin at the beginning again). Start and end each section with a double-bar. Begin the following section with another rehearsal mark (A, B etc)

Two coda signs are often used The first coda sign is placed on the last beat of the measure preceding where you want the coda to play the final time. The first coda sign tells the player-feature to jump to the second coda sign the last time through. The second coda sign is placed on the first beat of the coda section (written at the end of the chart) which will only play once the final time.

More about the coda:
    http://www.irealpro.com/how-the-coda...-in-ireal-pro/

To remove empty (unused) bars at the end (using iOS) highlight them and delete. I'd think that Mac is similar.

There is useful information here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-27-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks a lot...especially for the IN explanation...

Note: I added a mention about using D.C with IN to my previous reply.

The rehearsal marks In (intro) and V (verse) identify sections that are only played by the player-feature once (unless told by a D.C. to begin at the beginning again).

)BOB

Functionally, what's the difference between the two "kinds" of double-bars -- the one that's left-aligned and the one that's right-aligned?

I'm trying to get my intro to play only once -- i.e., play the intro, then play the specified number of choruses, then on the last one, when you get to the coda sign, go to the coda. I have the intro enclosed in double-bars as described (I think) in this thread -- but when I play the tune, I get the intro again, as if it's thinking that the chorus starts at the top of the tune (not at letter A, where I want it to start). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but have been looking through the threads, watched a couple of videos, and downloaded a couple of tunes with intros that play correctly... but am not sure what's different about the way I entered it.

Quote Originally Posted by urbie4euph View Post
    Functionally, what's the difference between the two "kinds" of double-bars -- the one that's left-aligned and the one that's right-aligned?

I'm trying to get my intro to play only once -- i.e., play the intro, then play the specified number of choruses, then on the last one, when you get to the coda sign, go to the coda. I have the intro enclosed in double-bars as described (I think) in this thread -- but when I play the tune, I get the intro again, as if it's thinking that the chorus starts at the top of the tune (not at letter A, where I want it to start). I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but have been looking through the threads, watched a couple of videos, and downloaded a couple of tunes with intros that play correctly... but am not sure what's different about the way I entered it.
    For help with a chart, always POST YOUR CHART so it can be easily opened in the editor.

In 2013, there was some discussion about a "quirk" related to double-bars. I suspect that discussion will have no bearing on your issue.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...1248#post21248
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-10-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    For help with a chart, always POST YOUR CHART so it can be easily opened in the editor.

In 2013, there was some discussion about a "quirk" related to double-bars. I suspect that discussion will have no bearing on your issue.
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...1248#post21248
    )BOB
    OK -- here goes:

Bluesette - Toots Thielemans

Quote Originally Posted by urbie4euph View Post
    OK -- here goes:

Bluesette - Toots Thielemans
    Here is how I would format your chart:
    Bluesette 4 - Toots Thielemans

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...4863#post34863
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Here is how I would format your chart:
    Bluesette 4 - Toots Thielemans

https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...4863#post34863
    )BOB
    That's awesome, man -- thanks! But you did all my work for me -- I just wanted to know why it kept going back to the intro. In any case, your chart is much neater -- all readable by human eyes and everything.... thanks again! (This samba version of Bluesette is loosely based on the way Toots and Oscar Castro-Neves used to play it, which I like better than the traditional up-tempo waltz setting.)

Urb

Since your work in progress chart had multiple thing goin' on, I didn't spend time figuring out the exact cause of the repeating-IN issue. Since it's waaaay easier to troubleshoot a "square" chart, I did that first.
    Note how I condensed the A section, use of small/normal,corrected jump-from coda sign, extra spacing between sections and the extra final coda line so you can tell when the 5x repeat is over.
    )BOB