Thread: Same Road Same Reason - Acoustic Alchemy (Webb-Carmichael)

Default Same Road Same Reason - Acoustic Alchemy (Webb-Carmichael)

Same Road Same Reason - Acoustic Alchemy (Webb-Carmichael) - Arcanum version

(Note: This is both my very first iReal Pro song as well as my first post to this forum - just let me know if anything is wrong…)
    Last edited by vwegert; 12-05-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: fixed some issues with the file

Composed by Chick Webb and Hoagy Carmichael??? (bad joke)

This is one of those charts obvious made for personal play-along, rather than for sharing and reading. So I'll just point out some technical loose ends. It's always a good practice to pair a double-bar with any section letters, and at the end of each section. There are also places where you've entered both a single- and double-bar. Cleaning these up will get rid of some empty measures, and let the drum track play some variations. Your Style is set for "Pop - Country" but the Style Field says "Ballad Even". This won't affect the Player, but fixing it might help you sort and search. The Default key is set at D Major, not sure why.

Otherwise, if it plays the way you want it to, that's all that really matters. (Too bad iReal won't let you plug in those reggae measures on the bridge.)

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    This is one of those charts obvious made for personal play-along, rather than for sharing and reading.
    More or less, yes - is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't mind making it more readable though. The chords correspond to the ones in the official songbook, but I had to do some rather weird stuff to make it fit. iRp is a cool piece of software, but as far as I can see, it's missing some stuff to get this chart to both play correctly and look good, so I went for the sound. :-)

It's always a good practice to pair a double-bar with any section letters, and at the end of each section. There are also places where you've entered both a single- and double-bar. Cleaning these up will get rid of some empty measures, and let the drum track play some variations.
    You mean the empty A | || measures at the end of some lines? I've tried to fix these.

Your Style is set for "Pop - Country" but the Style Field says "Ballad Even". This won't affect the Player, but fixing it might help you sort and search.
    What would be an appropriate descriptive style? I've switched it to "Pop" now, but that doesn't really fit.

The Default key is set at D Major, not sure why.
    Because the song is originally written in D Major - isn't that what the key is for?

(Too bad iReal won't let you plug in those reggae measures on the bridge.)
    This would require some kind of "style change" option, I think…

Thanks for the input!

No good or bad implied. I only said that to preface my comments. Whenever I post something, I like to give a heads-up so folks will know what to expect - but that's just me.

The "default key" means what key your chart is written in. This will make things a lot easier if you ever want to transpose for some reason. But I'm seeing all those B-minors now. If the chart in their songbook is in D, and these are their chords, I guess that makes sense. At first glance, it just seemed more like it was in A.

You can describe the style however you want with no ill effects. I usually match it to the setting, just so I'll know which rhythm feel to expect. But, again, that's just me. A lot of times the style labels won't be spot-on anyway.

This was a pretty hefty tune for a first try! Looking forward to more. Happy charting!
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

The take home message is: the style designation written on the chart is a descriptive suggestion ie. Dog-Funk...
    It is separate fron the iRp style selected within the player.
    I don't know the tune or what it's supposed to sound like, but I'll admit to being somewhat confounded by the curious and irregular number of measures in the various sections.

You may find this thread helpful:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    ...I don't know the tune or what it's supposed to sound like...
    If I had to label them, I'd call Acoustic Alchemy "smooth jazz" but that style setting would definitely be wrong for this piece. I might have used "Pop - Rock" if I wanted a bass line closer to the original. But the country beat makes this ole Texas boy smile.

There are at least two versions of the song, a "full-fledged studio version" from the album Reference Point and a rather acoustic version from the album Arcanum. The chords are taken from the Arcanum songbook. I would have preferred to arrange the chords in a different way, but I would have needed a second page for this, and apparently that's not possible with iRb…

True, files can only be 1 page. The Player recognizes and plays 1 chord/1 space measures with no problem. I've used this to great advantage on many arrangements.