Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wink And A Smile - Shaiman-McLean

Default A Wink And A Smile - Shaiman-McLean

This beautiful Mark Shaiman piece is sung by Harry Connick Jr. In the film Sleepless In Seattle. It sounds like a golden era Jazz piece.

I cobbled together these chords from all the Internet sources I could find, cleaned it up, and tested it yesterday with a real band when I sang it. It works.

Wink And A Smile, A 1 by Shaiman-McLean

Here I've just tweaked it to include the modulation up one half-step in the middle as Connick does it, and a suggested simple ending.

Wink And A Smile, A by Shaiman-McLean
    Last edited by Steve R; 10-04-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: With Modulation and ending

Default Help!

Second version of "Wink and a Smile" makes my iRealBook program (on iPad) instantly crash when I try to use the Player.

First version works fine.

What did I do?

Hi Steve,
    The irb player *really* doesn't like it when there are 5 spaces in any measure in a 4/4 song.

I fixed bar 3 in the intro by deleting a beat and changed the last G7#5 to a "small" G+. To square the chart up I inserted a beat after the offending measure.

Same problem with the final measure in the song. I moved the final closing bar-line so it lined up with the bar-line above it.

I also moved the "go to coda" mark to the last beat of the Bb measure on line 8.

Plays fine now. Rather than post my "corrected" version,
    (no wifi available at the moment) You can fix and repost
    when you change the issues.
    Thanks for posting. Other than *that* it's a nice chart.

What did you intend for the form?
    it reads IN AAB (key change) ABAcoda.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Default Aba

Thanks, Bob. Found the extra beats & fixed, will post as soon as I can figure out how to notate the actual form used on the recording which is

A A B A A* A* B (keychange) A

where the A* are instrumental.

Any suggestions?

Aargh. Ok Bob, I have applied your corrections, and even simplified the form, and it still doesn't play on the iPad player.

just a wink and a crash. Here is my attempt, what is wrong?

I changed the opening bar-line of the intro from a single to a double. Likewise for the Intro's closing bar-line.

I think it may matter to the player if you use left side or right side double bars (opening/closing)

The song still crashed the app after my edits.

I removed the G+ chord at the end of the intro. The tune played! Yay!

I put the G+ back. The tune still played. Double-Yay!

As to why...it's a mystery.

Here's my update:
    Wink And A Smile, A 2 1 by Shaiman-McLean

)BOB

Long or complex forms sometimes require more than 32-36 bars available in a palm-size device and exceed the limit of just ONE DS OR DC instruction per song.

The player still allows me to practice every part of a tune if not the "correct" form on a few.

)BOB

Message received with thanks, Bob. Here is the simplified version with enough info to reconstruct the recording's Aabaaab^a form.

Final version I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    ...Here is the simplified version with enough info to reconstruct the recording's Aabaaab^a form.
    If you have access to digital audio recording facilities, you can record some of the different segments of the form then loop, add them together etc. so you can practice with the constructed audio. Each time you press the Play button, it generates a different version of the backing so it will still sound improvised with no repetition.