Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to connect the guitar (bass) to the iPhone to practice with the iRealBook player?

Garageband v1.1 for iOS has been released. Works on iPad, iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod touch (3 and 4 gen) running iOS4.3.

I figured out how to hear an iReal b chart play in the background while I jam with guitar --> irig--iPad. But I can can only get the audio from both apps when GarageBand ison the screen and iRealb is playing in the background. I want to do the opposite-- see (and hear)the chart in iReal b but still hear my guitar ( from GarageBand) at the same time. Doesn't work. Should it? Or do I need to use amplitube app for that ? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencedb View Post
    I figured out how to hear an iReal b chart play in the background while I jam with guitar --> irig--iPad. But I can can only get the audio from both apps when GarageBand ison the screen and iRealb is playing in the background. I want to do the opposite-- see (and hear)the chart in iReal b but still hear my guitar ( from GarageBand) at the same time. Doesn't work. Should it? Or do I need to use amplitube app for that ? Thanks!
    We haven't tested with GarageBand, but it would definitely work with the AmpliTube app.

Default Playing my guitar through iPad with irealb?

How to do it? Hardware and apps?

Audiobus? Jamup pro? Hardware? Jamup plug?

Default Options for playing guitar thru latest iPad with ireal book on screen

Could someone sum up the most current options. I'm not clear reading thru all of the posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
    Could someone sum up the most current options. I'm not clear reading thru all of the posts
    How to do it? Hardware and apps?
    ADMIN: I have moved your two queries to this thread.
    -----
    As a summary:
    - you will need iRig or Ampkit Link or similar to connect headphones/amp and your guitar to the iPad/iPhone (it does not seem to matter which hardware you use, we have tested both these with various guitar apps, but you might like to test before you buy to be sure)
    - an app for effects pedals/amps (like Garageband, Amplitube)
    - iReal b

Background audio:
    For an audio app to run background audio, it would have a setting for background audio OFF/ON. To run another audio app in the foreground at the same time, this app must allow the background audio through (many apps do not do this, you have to check.)
    These two features are independent it seems. Having an app with a background audio option does not automatically mean if it is running in the foreground instead, it will allow audio from another app to run in the background, even if you have turned its background audio off.
    Some apps do not have the background audio option, but allow other apps in the background to work (assuming they are able to.)

Examples:
    iReal b and Amplitube
    iReal b in the foreground with Amplitube (pedals and amps) background
    (does not seem to work the other way around)

iReal b and Garageband
    iReal b in the background playing a chart with Garageband in the foreground
    (does not seem to work the other way around)

There are other pedal/amp apps of course, some have been updated and now have one or both features, then new ones are being released.

-----
    Some tips:
    - iReal b>Hub>Settings>Background audio set to ON or OFF as required. Follow instructions (tap on the ?) Make sure you start the player as it says to (I usually wait for the first measure to start playing then stop it.)

- sometimes you might have to quit one of the two apps involved if there are problems. Perhaps turn background audio to the opposite state then back again (if iReal b, remember to press play for a few seconds.)

- I usually quit the other apps in the multitasking bar if not required

- you will have to adjust volumes of the two apps so you have a good balance

- I originally tested this on iPad1 so it will work on later iPads including iPad mini

-----
    This refers to iOS, iPad, iPhone, later model iPod touches, not Android
    Last edited by dflat; 01-03-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added a few words for better explanation

Now that was complete and concise. Happy New Year!!!

Audiobus? Jamup pro? Hardware? Jamup plug?
    Just to clarify, we are looking into Audiobus, but it is not needed for what you were wanting to do.