Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to connect the guitar (bass) to the iPhone to practice with the iRealBook player?

Okay, thanks a lot for your help. I have it running in German language and the instructions are not correct there.
    The German text says: "Schalten Sie Hintergrund-Audio in den Einstellungen der iReal b." There is a very important word missing here: Schalten means (to) switch, not to turn off so the word "off" is missing.
    So you could either write: "Schalten Sie Hintergrund-Audio in den Einstellungen von iReal b ab." or "Deaktivieren Sie Hintergrund-Audio in den Einstellungen von iReal b." The second version is probably more elegant. I think it might be helpful to put some emphasis on the deactivation as opposed to activation because it is somewhat counter-intuitive IMHO. The rest of the instructions is understandable but grammatically incorrect too. You probably used some auto translation.
    I'll take the time to correct it for you:
    The next paragraph is okay, but then it should be: "Öffnen Sie Amplitube. Stellen Sie sicher, dass ihr Instrument zu hören ist. Aktivieren Sie Hintergrund-Audio im Setup."
    The last paragraph should read: "Gehen Sie zurück zu iReal b und starten Sie den Player erneut. Sie hören nun sowohl das Audio Signal von Amplitube als auch den iReal b Player."
    I think that should be correct. Unfortunately I don't have your original English text.
    Anyways, I got it to work like that now, even without upgrading my firmware from 4.1, so thanks a lot once again.
    Last edited by kryz; 04-13-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryz View Post
    ...I have it running in German language and the instructions are not correct there.
    Anyways, I got it to work like that now, even without upgrading my firmware from 4.1, so thanks a lot once again.
    Thanks Kryz. I have passed this on. We appreciate your time to help.

I was not able to check if it would run smoothly on iOS4.1; we tested mainly on 4.3.
    Glad you have it running and having fun with it. (I do.)

Hmmm... not so good for me. This feature would make an already excellent app the best app I've got if I could get it to work!
    This is what I did, and what happens. First, I have an iTouch 2.1, running iOS 4.2.1.
    1. I turned background audio off in iRealb.
    2. I pulled up a tune, and pressed play. Song plays (sounds great btw).
    3. I click the command button on my iTouch to access Amplitube...iRealb audio slowly fades out.
    4. I open amplitube, and hear my bass playing...no iRealb song though.
    5. Background audio is already on, so I leave it, though on a couple attempts, I turn it off then on.
    6. I click the iTouch command button again to open iRealb, and my bass fades to nothing.
    7. I activate iRealb, and the song I selected is shown, but not the play screen, and there is no audio. The song has stopped.
    8. I open the play screen, start the song, it plays from 00.00, and there is no bass from me with it.

btw, I am using the Peavey Ampkit Link, but Amplitube has no problem with it.

Can you see where anything I've done is wrong, or if the equipment I have is just not up to it? I want to make this work in such a bad way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by agfrag View Post
    First, I have an iTouch 2.1, running iOS 4.2.1.
    Do you mean you have an iPod Touch gen2?
    It will not work. Multitasking is not available on this model - even though the iOS version does on more recent devices (gen3 etc.)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4205

Default Ampkit v1.2

Ampkit updated:
    http://agilepartners.com/
    update includes multitasking support (audio in background)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Ampkit updated:
    http://agilepartners.com/
    update includes multitasking support (audio in background)
    Hello,
    Does this means that I can use Ampkit+ 1.2 on my iPhone 4 with iReal B in background ?

Quote Originally Posted by RV35Guib View Post
    Hello,
    Does this means that I can use Ampkit+ 1.2 on my iPhone 4 with iReal B in background ?
    Yes should work - just tested it on iPad. You have to have Multitasking ON in Ampkit (I had Settings>Background audio ON in iReal b) and can change amps in Ampkit etc. Fun.

I've read through the thread, and have a couple of questions:

If you don't need amp modeling or effects, the easiest solution would seem to be an external headphone amp like the Vox Amplug or PocketRocket. In this case, iRB runs as the only task on IOS, and the iRB output is mixed with the instrument in the external box. Sound right?

If you want amp modeling etc, the iRig or Ampkit Link will send the instrument signal into the iPhone where it gets processed and mixed with the mp3 or iRB output. OK so far?

In the second case, either the iRig or Ampkit Link can be used with iRB playing, as long as you have the new version of the Ampkit app. Yes/No? Either of these hardware choice preferable?

Other hardware options are popping up:
    * Line-6 Mobile In
    * Sonoma WireWorks Guitar Jack 2
    * Alesis iO Dock
    These seem focused on recording, but anyone tried them for just practicing?

Thanks....Lyle

yes to all.
    Ampkit is just one of apps that run in the background. I like Amplitube too (yes it works with Ampkit Link.)

Export the file as a .wav
    Open up Garageband import the track to a vocal track. Make a new track for your guitar or bass. Works like a charm. I do use the iRig but not Amplitube...spent too much money for it on the iPhone and then would have to buy everything again. Garageband works even better.