Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to connect the guitar (bass) to the iPhone to practice with the iRealBook player?

Default How to connect the guitar (bass) to the iPhone to practice with the iRealBook player?

Hi,
    Does anybody know if there is a possibility to connect the instrument to the iPhone and practice with the iRealBook play along through the headphones.

Thanks,

R.

Quote Originally Posted by bassrad View Post
    ... possibility to connect the instrument to the iPhone and practice with the iRealBook play along through the headphones.
    The first thought is using an amp with two inputs (one for iPhone and one for your guitar/bass) and headphone socket. (It is what I use.)

Or using a (cheap) mixer that can function in the same way.

I think it unlikely, but have not tried it, using iRig;
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/
    and multitasking (iOS4) and the iOS simultaneously being able to output audio from iRig software and iReal book app, Player audio (I am not sure it will do this.)
    Perhaps some with this combination could try it for us and report back?

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    The first thought is using an amp with two inputs (one for iPhone and one for your guitar/bass) and headphone socket. (It is what I use.)

Or using a (cheap) mixer that can function in the same way.

I think it unlikely, but have not tried it, using iRig;
    http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/features/
    and multitasking (iOS4) and the iOS simultaneously being able to output audio from iRig software and iReal book app, Player audio (I am not sure it will do this.)
    Perhaps some with this combination could try it for us and report back?
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a setup with the amp and mixer, but am trying to make it really minimal. Bass, iRealBook, cable and headphones would be ideal.
    I am hoping that iRig would work, but will wait to see if somebody knows that all ready and is willing to share it with us

Regardless iRealBook is by far the best app i have on my iPhone. Looking forward for the next updates.

R.

There is a product called IRig that plugs directly into your iPhone so you can play your axe through it and listen via headphones. Costs around $40. Friend of mine has one and she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassrad View Post
    Bass, iRealBook, cable and headphones would be ideal.
    The problem is that somewhere in the chain you will need a (small) amp of some kind (there are headphones with amps built-in) for your bass, but you still need something with two inputs. Boss (or similar) might put out something that could help you. I suppose you could use a double-plug on a single input but that would possibly give you distortion problems etc.

Glad you like our app!

Quote Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
    There is a product called IRig that plugs directly into your iPhone so you can play your axe through it and listen via headphones. Costs around $40. Friend of mine has one and she loves it.
    I've seen those, puts effects and controls to your axe too.

Man what a world Man!

I use Pandora and it works great. Totally portable solution.
    Guitar (or bass) plugs in the gtr input, iphone plugs into aux input and output can be a headphone or plug into an amp. Pandora acts as a mixer. the new unit has a USB socket so you can record to a computer.
    here is a demo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Pc3swI7tk
    Yverof

Quote Originally Posted by yverof View Post
    I use Pandora and it works great
    Yverof
    link here:
    http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=290

Thanks Yverof.

dflat,

this one is the new unit and it is VERY expensive. It does also offers a lot of functions which are duplicates of what you can have on software on the iPhone and to fully take advantage of the unit you need to plug it to a PC or Mac so you loose the portability.

I have the previous version, and I should have been more clear in my previous post. Here is the unit.

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=234

Much smaller, thus portable.

Yverof

Quote Originally Posted by yverof View Post
    ... and it is VERY expensive
    Hi Yverof,
    Oh great news, thanks for that information.