Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding lyrics directly to iReal Pro charts

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    Yes. I fumbled around for about a week on my iPod Touch with my big fat fingers before springing for the OSX version. It's infinitely easier and faster to edit (and preview and sort) on my iMac. I can honestly say it's the best twenty bucks I ever spent.
    Yes, I just bought the OS-X version for my Macbook, too. The only difficulties I've found are:

(1) when I "send" an iReal Pro file in either direction by email, it sounds like it sent (WHOOSH), but nothing ever arrives. I think I have a setting wrong. Also, do you have to be using an internal mail program? I've always just gone to the yahoo mail website to use my yahoo email.

(2) when you create a chart with lyrics in iReal Pro for OS-X (which, as you say, is a whole lot easier—particularly for a lyrics nut), you have to be careful to stop entering lyric characters about three to four characters sooner than you can with iReal Pro for iOS7—or else when you import it into your iPhone those characters will be off the chart to the right. In other words, the iReal Pro OS-X will handle about three to four characters more in text on each line than will iReal Pro iOS7. At least that's the case with my iPhone 4S.
    Jack

I no longer use email for transferring so I won't be much help there. (My POP server doesn't get along at all with Apple Mail. Having to mail my files always annoyed me anyway. I've described here the 2 app's I use.) Using the Sandbox is probably your best solution for the time being. And, as for lyrics, iReal was never designed to accommodate them so ya gets whatcha gets. But the good news is, with all the hours you'll save now by using the OSX program, you'll have plenty of time to...
    Memorize The Lyrics!!
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    I no longer use email for transferring so I won't be much help there. (My POP server doesn't get along at all with Apple Mail. Having to mail my files always annoyed me anyway. I've described here the 2 app's I use.) Using the Sandbox is probably your best solution for the time being. And, as for lyrics, iReal was never designed to accommodate them so ya gets whatcha gets. But the good news is, with all the hours you'll save now by using the OSX program, you'll have plenty of time to...
    Memorize The Lyrics!!
    Ha! :-)). I sing like a calf anyway.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    when I "send" an iReal Pro file in either direction by email, it sounds like it sent (WHOOSH), but nothing ever arrives. I think I have a setting wrong. Also, do you have to be using an internal mail program? I've always just gone to the yahoo mail website to use my yahoo email.
    It cannot send via webmail directly. You would have to set up your Mail app correctly. Check in its out box (or sent box) to see if anything actually has left.
    The Yahoo website will have information on how to set this up.

... I've always just gone to the yahoo mail website to use my yahoo email.
    Jack,
    from the Mac version, you could try Exporting Playlist or Song to disk. Make sure it is the .html format. Then attach it using webmail as you would any other file. I have not tried this, but it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Jack,
    from the Mac version, you could try Exporting Playlist or Song to disk. Make sure it is the .html format. Then attach it using webmail as you would any other file. I have not tried this, but it should work.
    Yes, thanks, dflat. That worked fine. I didn't notice the save-to-disk feature at all. At least I can go from Mac to iPhone that way, which is probably the only direction I'd be going anyway. Works well for me, thanks again.
    Jack

Default Transferring iReal Pro files easily without Internet

Yes, thanks, dflat. That worked fine. I didn't notice the save-to-disk feature at all. At least I can go from Mac to iPhone that way, which is probably the only direction I'd be going anyway. Works well for me, thanks again.
    Actually, I've found that using DiskAid on my Macbook and FileApp on my iPhones, I can send iReal Pro files back and forth in either direction. I can even send quickly between phones using DiskAid on my Mac as an intermediary. Both DiskAid and FileApp are free and it's like they were made for transferring iReal Pro files. No Internet access needed; just USB cables.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 04-26-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Default Back to lyrics (the original thread topic) . . .

I've been working with adding lyrics directly to iReal Pro charts using Text mode for quite a few months now. I've made full arrangements of some pretty complex tunes, lyrics-wise (e.g., Begin the Beguine, C'est Si Bon, Day In Day Out, Night and Day, Dancin' Cheek to Cheek, etc.) using my own abr'v'a'tns sometimes with "reminder lyrics" to save space and it's worked well for me. Reading both chords and lyrics from the same iReal Pro chart is not a problem in landscape mode on my iPhone 5C, especially using my iPhone clip on my mic stand. And I'm a glasses-wearing 68-year-old, so . . .
    Jack

iOS (9) w/ v.7 iRp app now has split-screen multi-tasking
    https://www.facebook.com/irealproapp...type=3&theater

Remember, posting/sharing charts with melody or lyrics on the forums is not allowed.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-02-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Is a template for blues, adding lyrics, I always try to keep the actual chart to as few staves as possible.
    Jump, Jive An' Wail For Lyrics (Example) - Louis Prima
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc