Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New (2011) Feature: Player

Quote Originally Posted by Beskrone View Post
    ... When should we expect the next groups of styles? What will be included?
    We have already have some we are working on, but they take a while to prepare ... sampling audio, testing etc. This pack covers jazz, so we are looking at a few other common styles but we do not know exactly what will be coming out next yet. Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Congratulations on a fantastic new feature.
    I very much like it's simplicity.
    Over the years band in a box -brilliant though it is - has become over-complex.
    This new player already has all the basic functionality that I need for practice.
    New styles Will certainly be welcome, and possibly instrument choices for the accompaniment in future - such as Fender Rhodes or fretless bass, jazz guitar and so on.
    A truly excellent upgrade. Thanks to all your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja33ymart View Post
    ...and possibly instrument choices for the accompaniment in future - such as Fender Rhodes or fretless bass, jazz guitar and so on.
    A truly excellent upgrade. Thanks to all your team.
    Other instrument sounds are planned but take time to produce and refine for our purposes, but they will happen eventually in the future styles and overall player development. Thanks for your comments.

complimenti! questo è uno sviluppo fantastico per un'applicazione già eccezionale

è incredibile anche il fatto che ciò che qualche tempo fa richiedeva un pc o montagne di cd adesso è racchiuso in un telefono cellulare

complimenti ancora

translation: FANTASTIC!!

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    There is waltz in the jazz style. Tap on Styles and select Waltz to find some to try out. (Or did you mean something else?)
    Sorry, dflat - there is no waltz:
    1-Ballad Swing
    2-Ballad Even
    3-Slow Swing
    4-Medium Swing
    5-Medium Up Swing
    6-Up Tempo Swing
    7-Bossa Nova
    8-Even Eights
    9-Latin
    10-Afro 12/8

If I tap Jazz, I just get a message saying more packs are coming.

Still not at all complaining, just clarifying. I am having great fun on the gig with this playback.

Which reminds me, one more simple request to add to the request for future update list (and I would be VERY happy to pay for the option) - if the piano part could be selected to play on guitar (just a different sample set, no need to recompute the part) it could be used along with a real piano. Again, just a thought for the future, there are more things on your plate right now (sambas and other traditional Latin rhythms pack? waltzes? Straight-ahead pop options? I dunno, a lot of the modern tunes will sound strange with a generic bass line (try Birdland with the Even Eighths rhythm - hilarious, but that is not a blame or complaint, just a stupid user trick.) But this is such a marvelous addition it's easy to get carried away with ideas (hey, that's what we do - improvise and change it around...) I feel like I went out and bought a used but great condition Ford, paid my money and the salesman delivered a new Porsche with a note saying "free upgrade..."

Thanks again for your energies, it's a great joy to use this product.
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 10-07-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop24 View Post
    ?... Can we have a Waltz 3/4/ ?
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith View Post
    Sorry, dflat - there is no waltz:

Which reminds me, one more simple request to add to the request for future update list (and I would be VERY happy to pay for the option) - if the piano part could be selected to play on guitar (just a different sample set, no need to recompute the part) it could be used along with a real piano.
    Thanks again for your energies, it's a great joy to use this product.
    Sorry, clarification:
    The waltz is a song in 3/4...at the moment we only have the jazz pack - making it a jazz waltz feel.
    Under the Styles (not in the player window) but in the general menu where there is the Song index, Playlists, Composers...there is one called Styles. It lists the different style feels, one of which is waltz, meaning 3/4 songs.

We may very well add guitar as a choice of instruments in the future. This is just the beginning of our Player development. Thank you for your comments and ideas.
    Glad you are enjoying iReal book.

Default Great App!

I was getting ready to leave for a gig tonight when the bass player called in sick. I was getting the cables organized to hook up my laptop and figured I would just use Band-in-a-Box when I remembered the iRealBook app on my iPhone. I downloaded the "Styles Pack" and plugged the iPhone into the PA, turned off the drums and piano and just finished our first set with an "iBass" player.

This is a fantastic app and has tons of potential.

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    ...downloaded the "Styles Pack" and plugged the iPhone into the PA, turned off the drums and piano and just finished our first set with an "iBass" player.
    Hi Robert, thanks for your enthusiasm and report. Good to get feedback.

One thing we are aware of using it in a live situation through a PA is when you transpose in Song view. You might normally hear the clicks as the picker (tumbler) moves through the keys as you are selecting the key to transpose to.

In the Settings of the iOS device itself (not iReal book's settings) you will need to turn OFF keyboard clicks to prevent this from happening.
    iOS device>Settings>General>Sounds>Keyboard clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    You might normally hear the clicks as the picker (tumbler) moves through the keys as you are selecting the key to transpose to.

In the Settings of the iOS device itself (not iReal book's settings) you will need to turn OFF keyboard clicks to prevent this from happening.
    Thanks for that tip. You might want to consider creating a 'sticky' with tips about the usage - both yours and the users. This ia a powerful new feature and there are a lot of ways to use it, especially if we start re-editing files to make them fit our charts.

[QUOTE=dflat;3005]
    One thing we are aware of using it in a live situation through a PA is when you transpose in Song view. You might normally hear the clicks as the picker (tumbler) moves through the keys as you are selecting the key to transpose to.

Dflat,

It wasn't the clicks that I heard, as I didn't need to use the transpose feature, but it was a bit embarrassing when the phone rang.

This is truly an amazing app. I've been playing semi-professionally for about 25 years and never really bothered to memorize tunes. I would just drag the Fake Books with me to every gig and then more and more books over the years. Then, when someone sat in, like a vocalist or another instrumentalist and needed to play the tune in a different key, I would literally take a pencil and change the chords to the key they needed...to the point that each chord in my current Fake Books has two or three small pencil changes written next to each original chord...quite a mess. I can go up a step or two without any notations, but anything past a third and I need to write it down.

I played a gig last night and a singer sat in and needed "At Last" in a different key, I simply transposed it via the app and life was great.

Aside from all the wonderful features and the potential for future upgrades, the one thing this app has really changed my mind about is purchasing an iPad. I've been holding off, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and get one in time for my Xmas gigs.

Great app and keep up the great work!

Robert