Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New (2011) Feature: Player

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New (2011) Feature: Player

Piano, Bass and Drums play-along accompaniments for all the iReal Book songs and properly formatted user songs. (available in iReal Book 3.0 for iOS)

The basic version of the Player that comes included in iReal Book 3.0 for iOS has one style available: Medium Swing.

You can purchase additional styles packs In-App.

The first one available is the Jazz Styles Pack:
    10 Jazz styles for the iReal Book Player: Ballad Swing, Ballad Even, Slow Swing, Medium Swing, Medium Up Swing, Up Tempo Swing, Bossa Nova, Even 8th's, Latin, Afro 12/8.

More Styles Packs will be available in the future.

For help and more detailed information visit www.irealbook.net

This is an excellent new feature . Can we have a Waltz 3/4/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop24 View Post
    ...Can we have a Waltz 3/4/ ?
    There is waltz in the jazz style. Tap on Styles and select Waltz to find some to try out. (Or did you mean something else?)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    There is waltz in the jazz style. Tap on Styles and select Waltz to find some to try out. (Or did you mean something else?)
    Sorry, dflat - there is no waltz:
    1-Ballad Swing
    2-Ballad Even
    3-Slow Swing
    4-Medium Swing
    5-Medium Up Swing
    6-Up Tempo Swing
    7-Bossa Nova
    8-Even Eights
    9-Latin
    10-Afro 12/8

If I tap Jazz, I just get a message saying more packs are coming.

Still not at all complaining, just clarifying. I am having great fun on the gig with this playback.

Which reminds me, one more simple request to add to the request for future update list (and I would be VERY happy to pay for the option) - if the piano part could be selected to play on guitar (just a different sample set, no need to recompute the part) it could be used along with a real piano. Again, just a thought for the future, there are more things on your plate right now (sambas and other traditional Latin rhythms pack? waltzes? Straight-ahead pop options? I dunno, a lot of the modern tunes will sound strange with a generic bass line (try Birdland with the Even Eighths rhythm - hilarious, but that is not a blame or complaint, just a stupid user trick.) But this is such a marvelous addition it's easy to get carried away with ideas (hey, that's what we do - improvise and change it around...) I feel like I went out and bought a used but great condition Ford, paid my money and the salesman delivered a new Porsche with a note saying "free upgrade..."

Thanks again for your energies, it's a great joy to use this product.
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 10-07-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop24 View Post
    ?... Can we have a Waltz 3/4/ ?
    Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith View Post
    Sorry, dflat - there is no waltz:

Which reminds me, one more simple request to add to the request for future update list (and I would be VERY happy to pay for the option) - if the piano part could be selected to play on guitar (just a different sample set, no need to recompute the part) it could be used along with a real piano.
    Thanks again for your energies, it's a great joy to use this product.
    Sorry, clarification:
    The waltz is a song in 3/4...at the moment we only have the jazz pack - making it a jazz waltz feel.
    Under the Styles (not in the player window) but in the general menu where there is the Song index, Playlists, Composers...there is one called Styles. It lists the different style feels, one of which is waltz, meaning 3/4 songs.

We may very well add guitar as a choice of instruments in the future. This is just the beginning of our Player development. Thank you for your comments and ideas.
    Glad you are enjoying iReal book.

Default Great App!

I was getting ready to leave for a gig tonight when the bass player called in sick. I was getting the cables organized to hook up my laptop and figured I would just use Band-in-a-Box when I remembered the iRealBook app on my iPhone. I downloaded the "Styles Pack" and plugged the iPhone into the PA, turned off the drums and piano and just finished our first set with an "iBass" player.

This is a fantastic app and has tons of potential.

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    I too am looking for a waltz 3/4 time. The jazz style pack app available for purchase includes 13 styles but does not list or include a 3/4 time style. Where exactly is this available?

Each of the jazz styles IS a 3/4-time style. Just change 4/4 (or whatever) on the chart to 3/4 or 6/8.... Time signatures are found in the SYMBOLS scetion of the editor..
    )BOB

Amazing, completely unexpected, and completely awesome! The drummer reminds me a bit too much of some overly-busy dudes I've worked with in the past, but I just want the bass line, with a bit of drum background, and you just added several hundred songs to my piano single-with-iPod-backing-tracks repertoire.

As more styles are added, please consider some faster way to select a style than click-for-next. Some of us like to change up ways of playing standards - a hip-hop Green Dolphin Hood, or fast samba Miss Jones, and a fast selector would facilitate that.

Also, perhaps a last-four or last-8 option for intro (and same for tag ending?) I'm NOT complaining, just looking to what could add value without too much work. Congratulations on a great update!

Amazing, completely unexpected, and completely awesome!
    thanks for the feedback. Have fun!
    The drummer reminds me a bit too much of some overly-busy dudes
    Different styles of the jazz pack have different amounts of sparseness or intensity, so you could find one that is best comping out of all the choices and use tempo to move it to the appropriate speed you need to practice with.

As more styles are added, please consider some faster way to select a style than click-for-next. Some of us like to change up ways of playing standards - a hip-hop Green Dolphin Hood, or fast samba Miss Jones, and a fast selector would facilitate that.
    Yes we will be revising things as more styles get added.
    You might find it useful to make a copy of the song and store a different style with that song, then make a practice Playlist with them all in.

Also, perhaps a last-four or last-8 option for intro (and same for tag ending?) ...
    It would have taken more time to develop an intro play as you suggest and we wanted to get this out as soon as we could so you could have fun with it. For now, you can make a copy of the song (see above) and add in your intros and endings as you need to just for practice.