Thread: "Repeat Bar Lines" not working as expected

Default "Repeat Bar Lines" not working as expected

I'm having an issue with a tune "An't Too Proud To Beg" where the Verse/Chorus repeats 4x with "Part 1" and then ends on "Part 2". Even though I've put the "4x" notation after "Part 1" and section A has repeats at the beginning and end of "Part 1", it only repeats once and plays "Part 2". I know it has to be something easy, but I'm newbie with iRealb. I've attached a PDF. If someone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ain't Too Proud To Beg (2).jpg 
Views:	2572 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	207

Next time, instead of posting a jpg, post the actual song so it can be opened and edited..... (select: post to forums)

So, to solve your problem:
    1 add a coda sign at the last space in the measure before the 1st ending.
    2 add another coda sign to the first space in the first measure of your 2nd ending.
    3 remove/delete both the 1st and 2nd ending instruction notations.
    Easier to do in an editor than to describe...
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-05-2013 at 02:47 PM.

The Player automatically goes to [A] for repeats, you don't need a repeat sign there, just put a double-bar. You can set the Player to repeat however many times, you don't need the "4x" indicator there. You don't need a coda sign anywhere, unless you're going to write a coda that comes after the final bold-double-bar. And, shouldn't this be in 4/4 time?
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Dale,
    Since he wants his "1st ending" section to play 4 times and then use the (final) "2nd ending". To me, that sounds like a coda.
    When using the player he could also (instead) use the invisible END to avoid the turnaround G.
    My purpose in showing the coda option was to help our newer users understand how it works. You are right that for the changes in this tune, a coda isn't necessary. The poster, by trying to differentiate between the two endings, clearly views the tune that way.
    You are correct that the 4x could be set in the player BUT it is helpful information if performed live (without using the player).
    Even though the player automatically may return to A, it's customary to always use both a start-repeated section as well as a finish repeated section bar-signs.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.

I agree with your points, but the problems Harpman described were with playback. As a former newbies, you and I both know it takes a while to learn using the Player frequently allows shortcuts and requires some un-"customary" tricks to make it do what you want it to do. There will usually be some give-and-take making a chart for playback and reading. For reading only, you can pretty much use whatever notations and chord voicings you need to get you through the song, but don't expect the Player to cooperate. Now if other people will be trying to read your arrangement, yes, you'll need to follow all the normal conventions.

But back to Harpman. If you want to post your file, maybe we can suggest some practical solutions. I've been meaning to do a chart of this for myself anyway.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

But how do you ad the 4x in the first place?! I need one section of my song to repeat more than once (to make the song fit on one page) and can not figure out how to make that happen. This was also the only thread I could find that mentions this feature. I've seen songs in IRealPro that have sections that repeat more than once but don't know how to write that.

Quote Originally Posted by HaXena View Post
    But how do you ad the 4x in the first place?! I need one section of my song to repeat more than once (to make the song fit on one page) and can not figure out how to make that happen. This was also the only thread I could find that mentions this feature. I've seen songs in IRealPro that have sections that repeat more than once but don't know how to write that.
    Measures within repeat brackets will be repeated once. With the addition of a text instruction (3x, 4x, etc.) entered anywhere inside the brackets...(usually under the last bar) the phrase will repeat multiple times as instructed.
    Select from various choices using the text button in the editor or enter your own number followed by a lower-case "x".
    Example:
    Repeating Repeats TEST - Example

https://technimo.helpshift.com/a/ire...-measures&l=en
    )BOB

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I really wish basic things like that were in a tutorial / user manual / instructional video ect. I have spent DAYS trying to figure that out and could not find the answer anywhere! Thank God I finally found this post!

Thank you!

Take some time and read through the tutorials in the app found here: *Settings>Help
    In OSX look under: Help/Tutorials and Help/Help & Support

Also these two threads are helpful:
    Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301
    Glossary
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=282#post282
    )BOB

There's also some helpful information here under "Support":
    http://irealpro.com