Thread: Creating charts using the Number System

Default Creating charts using the Number System

I see where I can convert letter charts to the number system--in which I use quite a bit--but can I not create a new chart using numbers? I hope I'm just doing something wrong. If not, PLEASE add this feature!
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.

unfortunately it is not possible to create in Numbers, it must be chords in a key

This question is not an attempt to start a flame war.

I'm curious as to why you want to use scale numbers rather than traditional chord symbols. I'm a jazz pianist interested in harmony and theory and for me, having to use scale numbers (roman numerals) for chords would make things very difficult to read chord charts. There was a famous jazz theorist named John Mehegan who used scale numbers in his didactic books but I don't think that anyone (or practically anyone) uses them anymore. I could see using numbers for traditional (folk) or country music, perhaps. What kind of music do you play?

just to add to this thread for anyone interested:

For numbers in iReal b, normal (arabic) numerals are used (as you can see when you transpose to Numbers) not roman. Our number system is loosely based on the Nashville Numbering system.

This could be used for all kinds of music including jazz because a number replaces the letter of the chord. The chord quality stays the same, so instead of F7#9 you would have the number followed by 7#9. However I would think the majority of the songs notated in Nashville are country, folk etc. as you have mentioned.

One advantage in using numbers is that the same chart can be used for any key required including any transposing instruments (saxes, trumpets etc.) A singer can change the key for their range and everyone just thinks in that key, reading off the same chart.
    Key changes are often written as something 'generic' like '2-up' so again, it works no matter what key. Someone can chart out a song in numbers on a piece of paper, hand out the same copy to everyone and it can be played in any key.

Also some parts of conventional music notation are used (and understood.) For example you can write out rhythms, accents, rests, time signatures, staccato, repeats, DC, DS, coda etc. (although iReal b does not provide all of these.)

Hey. I also agree that the number system in place is a little lacking. I'm familiar eight the Nashville system, and though it is obviously very user friendly, it doesn't do a very good job of teaching the harmonic functions you get from Roman numeral analysis. Why not have it so you can still use the number system but offer the option of at least using secondary chords (5/5 to show a V7/V for example)? Just a thought.

I can't find a "Numbers" option for Key anywhere. Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    I can't find a "Numbers" option for Key anywhere. Where is it?
    Settings>Fonts
    )BOB

Thanks, Bob. Using a Search, I found where a few months back someone congratulated the team on moving it there. . . . It was me. 😚