Thread: Freight Trane - Tommy Flanagan

Default Freight Trane - Tommy Flanagan

Freight Trane - Tommy Flanagan

So what I want it to do is play the coda as 3 beats only…no matter what I try, it either stops on the 1st beat of the coda or continues on until the 1st beat of the (non-existent) next measure. Is it really that dumb? Or am I not seeing something?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-17-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling!

When you use the invisible "END" in the last measure, it tells the player (on the final time) to end on the first chord in that measure, thus avoiding that pesky turnaround to nowhere.

This isn't the exact timing you were seeking for your coda, but it might be useable as a coda none the less.

Freight Trane 1 - Tommy Flanagan
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-09-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Default Freight Trane

Well, yeah, that's the problem…if I want it to end on the 3rd beat, am I out of luck?

The player algorithm provides a new accompaniment each time it loads. So the jazz syncopations, single vs.double chord hits may not be the same each time. Remember, the player was developed as a practice tool. It was never intended to provide the level of control you are seeking.
    By varying time-sigs, some users have been able to trick the player into certain behaviors. Often, that doesn't make the charts easily readable for the performer.

If you need the player to hit three chords in three beats at the end of a up-swing tune you may indeed be out of luck.
    The coda I offered is as close as I could get it.
    )BOB

Freight Trane 3beat stop - Tommy Flanagan

is this what you wanted initially - 3 beats in the coda finishing on the third beat?

(wanting specific rhythms, syncopations is often not possible within iReal b as it was not designed to do this as Bob as indicated. Outside iReal b, you could use a midi player and specify exactly what you want with the midi file.)
    Last edited by dflat; 07-10-2013 at 04:05 AM. Reason: edited

Default Freight Trane...aha!

Aha! Yes, that's it, it was just a matter of thinking outside the box—2/4 measure, trick the machine!!! Looks weird but sounds right—thanks for your help, guys!