Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvising Practice and tips

Default modes

You might find the charts on this page useful:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode
    )BOB

A lot of the tips have been very helpful and I have been developing a good practice schedule. One thing that I discovered which may be very helpful for anyone else having trouble with "tripping on the changes" is that for the longest time I didn't have complete control over counting and timing in the song, so I relied on feel to determine where I was. I realized I had good command over the first 2 beats in a measure but had little control over beats 3 & 4 which made it extremely difficult to have free flowing lines and hindered my ability to develop ideas. Now I take all songs at a ballad tempo and concentrate on connecting measures while also starting lines at different beats in the measure to really get into the rhythm.

Thank you Dflat.

Smile Slow down music

Sorry I don't recall where I saw the question.
    There is an app on iPhone, OSX and Windows that allows to slow down music without changing the pitch and it is by far the best quality algorithm on the market. It is called Amazing Slow Downer. On the iPhone there is a free (limited functions) and a fee version.

Here is the link : http://www.ronimusic.com/

It is written by a guitar great player.

There is also an amazing app on PC and Mac for slowing down videos which is very fluid keeping the pitch of the sound.

All this with looping and lots of functions.

I have no personal interest other than sharing it with you.
    Last edited by yverof; 10-27-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Transcribing and learning solos by your favorite players is the fastest way I know to get the language of a music style into your head/hands.

A favorite saying of mine: "The answer to all questions is on the recordings"

Hi dflat, just want to say that your several posts with advice in reply to Luke are very thoughtful and well put. thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Djudy View Post
    Hi dflat, just want to say that your several posts with advice in reply to Luke are very thoughtful and well put. thanks !
    That was a few years ago, I actually do not remember doing the replies
    Thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    That was a few years ago, I actually do not remember doing the replies
    Thanks for your post.
    that's normal, you've got a lot on your plate ... still that doesn't change the serious and quality of the reply ! great stuff, I'm glad to be here; now that ireal b is open to android I'm one HAPPY camper !

Quote Originally Posted by Djudy View Post
    ... still that doesn't change the serious and quality of the reply ! great stuff, I'm glad to be here [...]
    +1

Great Read...
    Cheers! Dave... MacBook Pro - OS X 10.10 - Mac iRp v 6.1 - iOS iRp v 6.1

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread to post this but this thread is a gem and seems like the right place to post.
    As well as slowing down iRb to "40 bpm" and playing piano along to the chords (Piano Grids),
    i've found this free app a great help. Been playing guitar for over 45 years. Piano playing 6 months!

http://www.better-ears.com/en/better-ears-mac.html
    Cheers! Dave... MacBook Pro - OS X 10.10 - Mac iRp v 6.1 - iOS iRp v 6.1