Thread: keys, transposition, pitches

Default keys, transposition, pitches

i'm a fairly experienced Bb clarinettist who loves the app but i'm having trouble getting the right settings...e.g. i see at least three ways to change (and mess up!) a song:

1) song > upper-right button
    2) hub > settings > transpose instruments
    3) edit > info > key sig > set AND ALSO set and transpose

is there a simple tutorial on how to manage the various ways to affect the key signatures, transposition settings, and actual pitches played by the app?

Lee De Cola

Quote Originally Posted by ldecola View Post
    i'm a fairly experienced Bb clarinettist who loves the app but i'm having trouble getting the right settings...e.g. i see at least three ways to change (and mess up!) a song:

1) song > upper-right button
    2) hub > settings > transpose instruments
    3a) edit > info > key sig > set
    AND ALSO
    3b) set and transpose

is there a simple tutorial on how to manage the various ways to affect the key signatures, transposition settings, and actual pitches played by the app?

Lee De Cola

Hi Lee
    Easy peasy.
    3a) edit > info > key sig > set Assigns the default concert pitch key to a chart. Usually set when the chart is first written.
    Sometimes it is set incorrectly by the writer. It can be left in C (default) even when the song is obviously in a different key or when the song starts on a chord other than the tonic (like Autumn Leaves) the writer may just get it wrong. Using the "set" choice we can fix it without altering the chart. The player feature plays the chords as displayed.

3b) set and transpose changes the default concert key of an existing chart AND transposes all the chords appropriately.
    The player feature plays the chords as displayed, now in a new key.

1) song > upper-right button does the same (transpose the displayed chords) without altering the labeled default key.
    Changes made above also change the pitch that the player feature uses (it plays the chords as displayed)

2) hub > settings > transpose instruments -- globally affects all the charts in the app.
    All charts will display (transposed correctly for your instrument) in the transposed key (you'd choose Bb)
    It doesn't mean all charts will now be in the key of Bb. Only concert-C charts would be displayed in Bb, but ALL the charts would be shifted to match the different natural pitch (Bb) of your instrument.
    The player feature will continue to play in concert key pitch when using the transposing instrument feature.
    If you transpose your (already globally transposed) chart using song transpose (1)above) , both the player‘s pitch and the displayed chords would be changed. (still shifted from each other to match your (Bb) instrument.

Here is more info: (that may be more than you need)
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...g-the-Eb-chart

Hope that helps
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-27-2013 at 09:32 PM.

ok, i'll use your explanation as a guide for an experiment in using the 3 settings and get back to you with an account of how it worked...

Lee De Cola.