Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternate chords

Default alternate chords

After looking through manual, I can't find find out how to get ireal to play alternate chords. Help please. Thanks, Ray

The Player doesn't play the "alternate" chords, they're just for notation. It will only play what's indicated for "regular" chords, so you'll need to do some editing to play the substitutions.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Alternate chords (the small chords above the main chords) are provided by the chart's author for information only.
    The irb player ignores them. To get them to play, you would need to edit the chart (or a duplicate) to make an alternate version with the alternate chords on the main line.
    )BOB

Thanks for the replies. It would nice to have the regular chords for the melody and alternate chords for the solos. Later, Ray

Agreed but, since the Player ignores the alternates, you can get away with typing certain voicings that aren't in the program. It does come in handy on occasion.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

One of the coolest features of iReal b is you can make your charts pretty much just the way you want.
    If you want different chords during solo(s), just write it out, put it in repeat brackets, tell the player how many times to repeat, then DS or DC to the head to Fine or Coda. However you want it.
    )BOB

How many bars total can be entered in? I used the 1st chorus (32) bars as an intro then a repeated chorus with alternate chords for the solos. After the 64th bar I couldn't add any more bars. Is this a limitation or am I missing the button for more bars? Thanks, Ray

Because this wonderful app is designed for a single-page cell phone platform, there will be some limitations.
    If you are composing a lengthy symphony, iReal b is probably not your best choice.
    The app was designed to DISPLAY the changes to a song on a single page on a small screen. A PERFECT portable, transposing fakebook.
    If you're looking to handle long, complex arrangements on a single page, irb ain't it.

The irb player function was initially intended as a PRACTICE tool. Because of the great work by the developer, some find the player useful in performance.

To address the issue: How many measures are possible?, if there's only one chord in a measure, only ONE space is required for that bar. Just add a bar-line on each side of that space. So, it's often quite possible to squeeeeeze lots more measures into your chart. Your chart may be ugly, impossible for a performer to easily read and have tiny chords that overlap, but will play just fine by the irb player feature. Sometimes you just gotta choose what you really need.

Hopefully, irb won't try too hard to be all things for all users and in the process of adding more and more layers of features
    loose track of the elegant simplicity that was the original hallmark of the app.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-23-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for the spacing tip. Exactly what I needed for a 4 bar ending. Later, Ray
    Last edited by raymb1; 04-23-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Default I, too, would like to be able to push a button to play the alternate chords

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    After looking through manual, I can't find find out how to get ireal to play alternate chords. Help please. Thanks, Ray
    For me, this would not be a performance tool or even a practice tool, but mainly a proofreading tool to make sure I didn't make any mistakes when elaborating the basic chords when preparing a chart for others.