Thread: Route 66 - Bobby Troup

Default Route 66 - Bobby Troup

"Route 66" with breaks and outro

Here's Route 66 with the standard Break section and Nat King Cole's iconic ending. (That screwy final bar of 3/4 just makes it end right, so don't let it throw you.) This arrangement is optimized to play twice. But it's set for 3 Times so you can start playing on the second A section, using it as a 12-bar intro.

Route 66 (with breaks) - Bobby Troup

To accommodate additional soloists, or a singer who can't resist the urge to scat a chorus, you can increase the number of Times - remembering that the Breaks section will occur during each solo. And of course, if you transpose, you'll probably want to edit that final F chord under the fermata just to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-10-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: simplified the arrangement
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Cool ending!
    I'd already made a chart with breaks, 'cause how can you do "Route" without 'em!!!
    The ending with the 3/4 is JUST right!
    Thanks, and happy music!
    (P.S.: a guy on the forums inserted an IN section tag at the end of a section, and iReal b played WHAT FOLLOWED the number of choruses specified, NOT the whole chart... Worth experimenting on...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalokagathon View Post
    ... P.S.: a guy on the forums inserted an IN section tag at the end of a section, and iReal b played WHAT FOLLOWED the number of choruses specified, NOT the whole chart ...
    Yeah, I saw that on Teen Town - nice trick to keep in mind. I've also made some "creative" use of [IN], [V] and the section letters. It's satisfying to fool the machine, but still bugs me to see oddball stuff on the chart - especially to make it end on a specific beat. Oh well... that's show biz.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Chuck Berry version:

Route 66 (Chuck Berry) - Bobby Troup (Chuck Berry)

Nat King Cole version:

Route 66 - Bobby Troup (Nat King Cole)