Thread: "END" command placement

Default "END" command placement

Apparently OSX doesn't like it when I place the END command on the 1st beat of the last measure of a Coda. It usually just disappears when I re-open the editor, or alter any chord changes. Is this intentional, or just a glitch?

P.S. ....

Might as well use this opportunity to make a related suggestion. The majority of standard tags end on some beat other than 1. Here's an example of what it takes to make one of these iconic endings "play right":

Fly Me To The Moon (with Coda)

It would save some editing time (and eliminate visually awkward codas) if a song could stop on the specific beat where the command is placed. And ideally, though less critical, the program might distinguish between staccato and sostenuto by inserting the corresponding symbol.
    Last edited by DaleMac; 02-28-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to specify this happens in the Coda
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Ah ha! I see what's happening. If the Fermata symbol is over the 1st beat, the "End" command must be moved to the 2nd beat. If no symbol, then the "End" is happy to stay on 1 and sustain all by itself. Makes perfect sense. (You might want to add a mention of this to the "Player Rules" section of the Mac Manual.)
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Why would you use "END" at the finish of a coda?
    "END" is used to tell the irb player not to play the written turnaround at the bottom of a chart (or at fine) the final time through.
    A true coda (with final fermata) wouldn't have a leading turnaround at the end.
    I know some charts display a coda with an ending turnaround that may be played each time through in performance.
    A Night In Tunisia comes to mind. "END" could certainly be appropriate in that setting.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.

I write endings (codas, outros, whatever you want to call them) for every chart I'll be playing live. So I'm in the habit of writing out that last chord, just to make sure the player doesn't misbehave. Also, if I send one of my charts to somebody else, it avoids confusion. For instance, in the chart I posted above, I could have left out the final bar of Bb and just ended the 3/4 with a double bar - no fermata, no "END" command - and it would play just fine. But a chart ending with "N.C." might not make much sense to everyone. There are also those times when I want to end on a completely different chord ("So Many Stars" for example) in which case I have to write the chord. In any case, I always try to produce a chart that looks right and plays right.

Edit: By the way, that's one reason I dislike having to use an odd-meter bar to nail all those standard jazz tags.
    Last edited by DaleMac; 02-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    I write endings (codas, outros, whatever you want to call them) for every chart I'll be playing live. So I'm in the habit of writing out that last chord, just to make sure the player doesn't misbehave. Also, if I send one of my charts to somebody else, it avoids confusion. For instance, in the chart I posted above, I could have left out the final bar of Bb and just ended the 3/4 with a double bar - no fermata, no "END" command - and it would play just fine. But a chart ending with "N.C." might not make much sense to everyone. There are also those times when I want to end on a completely different chord ("So Many Stars" for example) in which case I have to write the chord. In any case, I always try to produce a chart that looks right and plays right.

Edit: By the way, that's one reason I dislike having to use an odd-meter bar to nail all those standard jazz tags.
    Thanks,
    )BOB