Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aguas de Março (Waters of March) - Antonio Carlos Jobim

Quote Originally Posted by CyrilleB View Post
    Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p1 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Regina/Jobim)
    Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p2 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Regina/Jobim)
    Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p3 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Regina/Jobim)
    what version ? Source ?
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    Please give your sources. ? Album Artist book etc
    You shouldn't need to ask...

Multiple versions of songs would be less of an issue if when posting a re-harm or alternate version, members would include some source information or description:
    "here's my own version using different changes” or "as performed by <artist name>" or "from Vanilla Book 3” or "based on this youtube (link)" etc.

When possible include a brief descriptive label in the chart's title too. (rb1) (dfb) (rn) etc. (lower case uses less room).
    That makes it easier to identify different versions in your song library index.
    The 1,2,3 numbers added to titles by your app are based in the order that you download/add charts in your app. The numbers may not be consistent for other users or even different devices that you use.

When a new user searches for a title and is presented with several choices, the additional info is helpful.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-06-2018 at 08:12 PM.

The version is stated in the composer field (Regina/Jobim), so this is the Elis Regina with Antonio Carlos Jobim version (https://youtu.be/wBEesrdaRog)

Post Águas De Março (Waters of March) [Elis&Tom]

Águas De Março (Waters of March)[On one page, in one chart](Regina/Jobim-version)

Here's my chord chart of Àguas de Março, as performed by Elis Regina and Tom Jobim from the 1974 album "Elis & Tom". This chart is very condensed and compressed because of the long form of the song, but I managed to fit all of it in one chart (on one page), which makes it possible to play along to the whole song without stopping. The chart uses the same chord changes as the recording, including the modulating whistle part, and includes breaks, which makes it usable as a backing track.

Águas de Março (Elis&Tom) - Antônio Carlos Jobim

Nice job on a challenging task.

)BOB

PLAYER CHARTS vs. READER CHARTS
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...5854#post25854

Great job, Nilzner!
    It's quite a challenge to fit this song in a single page.
    It's a good compromise for play-along.
    I just noticed a few things:
    - A few bass notes in some of the chords (slash chords) are missing. This is probably due to the lack of space.
    - The 4 bars ending section (outro) cannot be repeated because the chords are not the same.
    - I would suggest to replace the E9#5 by a E9#11 (there are no #5 chords in this song)
    Other than that, everything looks great!
    I personally prefer to use a two page chart for this song so I can get all the correct bass note motion, and also for clarity (easier to read).
    I use the rehearsal marks according to the melody and also the change of groove by the bass. This song structure is quite complex, but with proper marking, it looks much easier (the first part of the song has 3 sections that repeats, but the second time, some of those sections are shorter)
    Here's my two pages chart:

Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p1 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)
    Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p2 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)
    Last edited by CyrilleB; 10-27-2021 at 02:48 AM.

Thank a lot for your kind words and feedback, BOB and CyrilleB!

I agree with you CyrilleB, I also prefer a several-page chart of this song for performances! And as you say, to have a full one page version of the song is mostly useful for the play-along feature. When I have performed this song, I have made (and used) a three page hand-written chart which included some more useful details about bass notes, breaks and countermelodies, as this is quite important when using the same chart for a whole band for this song.

When I made the one page version, it was quite hard to fit the changed progression of the outro into one page (the Cb/Bb changed to a
    Eb-6/Bb), so I had to simplify the changes a little bit in order to save some measures. The repeats in my one page version are more used as a measure-saving device rather than a description of the song form.

Sometimes writing a too detailed chord chart can take away from the improvisational freedom of the musicians though, but if one wants to play the song like it is played this recording, a detailed chord chart can be a good thing! Sometimes a chord chart that is an exact transcription of a song can be harder to follow during a performance than a simplified version with more room for improvisation. However, in this song, the song structure and chord progressions are so unpredictable that writing in the details doesn't hurt.

Yes, the E9 altered chord (which is a tritone substitution leading to the Ebmaj9), probably makes more sense as an E9b5 or E9#11 as flat fives (or sharp elevens) on tritone substitution chords are more common (especially in jazz) than sharp fives. In my old hand written chart, i wrote an E9b5. And other recordings of this song seem to use an E9b5 chord. However, in this particular recording, and to me, it sounds like a E9#5 is used in the first part of the song (with the breaks) and later in the song, it is changed to a b5 instead.

You are correct about the missing slash chords! And I also think I forgot to write the /Gb on the Eb-6 in the beginning.
    I think your system of rehearsal marks is fantastic, CyrilleB! Great job on that, it really facilitates the understanding of the song form! And I think your two page-chart is great! It has a lot of space and is very easy to read! And you made very good observations of the different sus chords used in the song!

There are just two small details about your chart that I would suggest changing.
    -The Eb minor maj7 (or maj9) chord is sometimes used almost like a suspension in the song, resolving to a minor 6 chord. This is not written in the chord changes, probably because it is more distinct in the piano than the guitar, and the first time it is played, it sounds more like a countermelody than a chord tone, but the second time it is played, is not used as a countermelody, it is part of the actual chord and the ninth is also resolved.
    - The Ab chord in the ending of the whistle-section is not an Ab9#11, rather it is an Ab13 with the root voiced on top, before this chord, the Ab13:s have been voiced with the 9nth on top. Sometimes, the Eb-69 chords almost sound more like Ab13/Eb voiced with the 13 on top (the fifth in the bass) to me, the voicing used in the recording is more similar to the Ab13 than the the Eb-6. But Eb-69 is a more logical and understandable way to write the chord.

Other than that, I thought it was a great chart! Really nice that you wrote out the syncopations of the chord changes too, and included the ending!
    Here's my revised version of your two page chart:

Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p1 (revised) - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)

Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p2 (revised) - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)

Very good points, Nilzner
    I agree with you. I always think that having a detailed chart and accurate transcription of a recording is the best way to learn a song. Nothing can replace listening to the song to get all the details a chart can't provide. But starting with a detailed chart is a good start. Once the song is properly learnt, the chart is not even needed anymore, or it can be simplified to give more freedom for interpretation.
    I also figured that some parts had to be simplified in order to fit everything in a single page.
    I agree with the Eb-Maj7 chord. I can hear it in the recording. The choice to use an Eb-6 instead is simply because the voicing/inversion of the Eb-Maj7 generated by the iReal pro player didn't really sound right to my ears. Also, like you said, it's mainly played by the keyboard. However, I'll listen to it again.
    Yes, Ab13/Eb is very similar to Eb-69. I probably used that chord because I've heard an Ab played by the piano on top of it. However, it can go both way I think. To be consistent, it's probably better to write a Eb-6 or Eb-69
    About the E9#5, it's possible that a #5 is played by either the guitar or piano at some point (I will have another listen), but I still think the #11 or b5 is the main alteration. It sounds more accurate to me when played with the melody.
    However, this is very subjective. By experience, I've learned that it's not because a note is heard in a chord that the actual chord has to include that note.
    It often happen with 7th chord (as a tonic chord, not dominant). Even we can actually hear the b7, the chord is basically a major triad, not a 7th chord. This happens a lot in blues related songs.
    About the Ab13 at the end of the whistling section, you're probably right. I've also noticed that the #11 is not always played on that chord. I've probably added it for consistency with other similar sections. However, it doesn't sound wrong because the #11 is implied anyway. But I will give another listen again more carefully to see which one sounds best.

Sorry, I have to re-post the chart. While editing the post to update the chart, the entire post got deleted (this is an old bug that still haven't been fixed, unfortunately). I can't retype the text (I don't remember exactly what I wrote), but at least I can post the updated chart:

Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p1 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)
    Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) p2 - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Elis & Tom)

Fortunately this time, I was able to recover and restore your helpful post
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...7756#post67756

Thank you both for your comments.
    (This is how a song discussion thread is supposed to work!)
    )BOB