Thread: music illiterate needs help

Default music illiterate needs help

i recently downloaded this program to further develop my ability to play guitar; however, i do not know how to read music, which means this is useless to me, right? or, is there a way to change, for example, the guitar scale component from musical notation to tab, or something similar that shows a guitar neck with numbers on the neck that correspond with the ones written in treble/bass clef. i apologize for my inability to read music

Hopefully others will offer their opinions also...

It depends on what kind of guitar you are learning. For classical you will need to learn music notation, then looking at the scales will make sense.
    If you are learning guitar chords, there is an extensive library of chords and diagrams for reference (Window menu>Guitar chords.) And guitar chords can be automated to show when you are playing a song chart. Choose a very slow tempo and loop a couple of chords you want to learn. You can also set Chord anticipation in Prefs, so the diagram appears before the bar so you can get your fingers there before the first beat of that measure.
    In the Guitar chord window is a button to toggle between the chords and library. Nearly every chord has a few different diagrams up and down the neck. Do not get discouraged from all the different possibilities of chords and different diagrams! Just learn one or two at a time. It can be fun using iReal b playing along with you once you have a few chords memorized.

I'm in the same boat as the OP but as a beginning bassist. I get that reading music is important if you want to jam with others or play in a band. I'm too told for that. I'm learning to play for the enjoyment of it. I've been doing really well with tabs and was under the impression that this would give me material to play along with similar to Songster but those windows with music notation in them look like Chinese to me. I can't make heads or tails of this program either.

On the other hand I have found that much can be learned by gradually learning chords from chord symbols, and after a while it becomes easier to read chords just by their names. Like you, I am just playing for enjoyment, as as I add a few chords to my repertoire the enjoyment increases.
    I am an older music maker too, but I believe that the learning process is part of the challenge.
    Good luck with your bass, you are never too old to learn.

Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-17-2016 at 06:23 PM.