Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please clarify the rules for third endings

Quote Originally Posted by ericvv View Post
    I am having trouble doing something that should be simple. The tune has an A. section with 1st and 2nd ending, then a bridge. After the bridge I want to repeat the A. section with a 3rd. ending. Then repeat everything. I could possibly live with using the 2nd ending on that last chorus. I don't want to have to write out the whole A. section with the 2nd ending included. Is there a good way to do this, maybe using DC or DS's?

For help with a chart, ALWAYS post it (in iRp format) with your question so it can be opened in the editor.
    That said, see if this helps:
    Albatros, The - Wayne Shorter

)BOB

Hi Eric,

Here is a chord chart for "The Nearness of You" that has the structure you describe: AA'BA''. It plays the two A sections with first and second endings, continues to the bridge and returns to the opening measures of the A section going to a third ending. On the last time through the form, it goes to a coda instead of the turn-around at the end of the tune.

The rules are pretty simple: put a repeat sign at the end of the first and second endings and a double bar at the end of the third ending. You don't need a repeat sign at the beginning of the chart. However, if there is an introduction that is not part of the form, then a repeat sign at the beginning of the form is necessary.

I hope this gives you a good example.

Nearness Of You (demo), The - Hoagy Carmichael
    Last edited by Keith88; 05-04-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Removed repeat sign before first measure

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    Hi Eric,

Here is a chord chart for "The Nearness of You" that has the structure you describe: AA'BA''. It plays the two A sections with first and second endings, continues to the bridge and returns to the opening measures of the A section going to a third ending. On the last time through the form, it goes to a coda instead of the turn-around at the end of the tune.

The rules are pretty simple: put a repeat sign at the end of the first and second endings and a double bar at the end of the third ending. You don't need a repeat sign at the beginning of the chart. However, if there is an introduction that is not part of the form, then a repeat sign at the beginning of the form is necessary.

I hope this gives you a good example.

Nearness Of You (demo), The - Hoagy Carmichael
    Keith:
    That did it just fine. I guess I forgot my meds the day that I tried it! Thanks for the help.

Eric

You're welcome, Eric. Here is a simple demo of multiple endings with an intro:

Multiple Endings with intro - demo