Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please clarify the rules for third endings

Aha! I see the problem. If a bar has "D.S. al 3rd end" but ends with a single rather than a double barline, the instruction seems to be ignored during playback.

So there's something magic about double barlines. Can you explain the rules for how the player treats barlines? Also, it seems to me that it is possible for two bars to be separated by two barlines, which you would do by putting one after the first bar and another before the second. That seems weird for me, and I would think there is no reason ever to do it; but perhaps you could tell me if that ability is intended to be useful and, if so, what its effect is?

Quote Originally Posted by ark View Post
    Aha! I see the problem. If a bar has "D.S. al 3rd end" but ends with a single rather than a double barline, the instruction seems to be ignored during playback.

So there's something magic about double barlines. Can you explain the rules for how the player treats barlines? Also, it seems to me that it is possible for two bars to be separated by two barlines, which you would do by putting one after the first bar and another before the second. That seems weird for me, and I would think there is no reason ever to do it; but perhaps you could tell me if that ability is intended to be useful and, if so, what its effect is?
    Yes you need a double bar for a rehearsal instruction to work.
    This makes sense as you not would jump D.C. from the middle of a section (the rest of that section would then never be played)

You have left bar lines and right bar lines.
    You can use whichever you like.
    If you are at the end of a system you need the right and if you are at the beginning you use the left.

Aha! -- so a double bar actually has semantics beyond its looks.

Are there other semantic rules associated with it? Also, are there semantic rules associated with rehearsal letters? If so, do different letters carry different rules?

When using dual styles (latin/swing or Swing two/four or most pop styles...) A sections will be in one feel while B,C,D sections will be in the other feel.

Dual styles? Is this a feature I didn't know about? (I'm aware of the Latin/Swing setting, but a 2-beat/4-beat option would be wonderful, as would Ballad/Swing.) Or am I misinterpreting your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    Dual styles? Is this a feature I didn't know about? (I'm aware of the Latin/Swing setting, but a 2-beat/4-beat option would be wonderful, as would Ballad/Swing.) Or am I misinterpreting your statement?
    Jazz Swing two/four is coming in the next iOS and Mac update (very soon.)
    Android has it already in v2.0.

...Also, it seems to me that it is possible for two bars to be separated by two barlines, which you would do by putting one after the first bar and another before the second. That seems weird for me, and I would think there is no reason ever to do it; but perhaps you could tell me if that ability is intended to be useful and, if so, what its effect is?
    Putting two single barlines on top of each other should have no real effect other than being slightly messy if you notice it. I try to delete a single barline when I need a double, or repeat (or final) there. Either the left beat or the right beat on each side of the barline can be used to create the barline needed.

Aha! -- so a double bar actually has semantics beyond its looks.
    It is common in normal music notation to use the double barline to mean something like a period's use in finishing a sentence, meaning the end of a section and beginning of the next. We have one at the end of each rehearsal section and the end of a 2nd (etc.) time section.

I like your "period" analogy! Worth noting that you can put double-bars all over the place but, unless accompanied by a Rehearsal letter, the player will ignore it. I always use the left-side single bar, since the Editor automatically adds the bar at the end of a line when you start a new one below it. (Things get tricky when using Vertical-Space Arrows, but that's a different topic.) If you start a new line with a double-bar, the Editor leaves the end of the preceding line blank, reminding you to insert a double-bar (or repeat) there too. Scoring is usually easier when you let the Editor's logic help you along.

Default D.C. al 3rd ending, etc

I am having trouble doing something that should be simple. The tune has an A. section with 1st and 2nd ending, then a bridge. After the bridge I want to repeat the A. section with a 3rd. ending. Then repeat everything. I could possibly live with using the 2nd ending on that last chorus. I don't want to have to write out the whole A. section with the 2nd ending included. Is there a good way to do this, maybe using DC or DS's?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-03-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread