Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please clarify the rules for third endings

Default Please clarify the rules for third endings

I am trying to enter a song with first, second, and third endings.

I put an open repeat at the beginning of the part I want to repeat, and a close repeat at the end of the first ending. No problem so far: It plays the body, the first ending, the body again, and the second ending. But now I don't understand how to get it to go back to the open repeat and then skip the second ending.

I tried putting a sign at the repeat point and adding "D.S. al 3rd ending" at the end of the second ending, but that didn't seem to do anything about skipping the second ending the second time around.

So is there a formula for doing this so that it works? The online manual seems vague.

Make sure you have a closing repeat at the last 2nd ending bar, then 3rd time bar indication on the next bar.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Make sure you have a closing repeat at the last 2nd ending bar, then 3rd time bar indication on the next bar.
    An, I thought that the player insisted on statically matching open and close repeats. Let me try it.

OK, that did the trick; thanks!

However, having done that, I now realize that it's not quite what I want. What I really want is an intro followed by an AABAC form. There must be an easy way of doing that...

Quote Originally Posted by ark View Post
    ...What I really want is an intro followed by an AABAC form. There must be an easy way of doing that...
    (To insert the Intro, put the cursor on beat 1 measure 1 and insert some beats to move everything along.)
    Use the rehearsal letter IN on measure 1, beat 1. Then make sure you use a letter A at the first bar of the A section (which I assume you have anyway.) This tells it that the intro has finished.

The intro only plays the first time even if you have numerous choruses set in the Player window (unless you use a D.C. somewhere.)

I understand that. The thing is that the AABAC form I'm talking about is equivalent to a section with multiple endings in which the first ending is empty, and it's not possible to have an empty ending as far as I know.

Try playing this sample song:

AABAC - Unknown Composer

is the form what you were wanting?

Try playing this sample song:

AABAC - Unknown Composer

is the form what you were wanting?
    Yes, and it is very much like what I tried, except that I used "D. S. al 3rd ending," which didn't seem to work. I'll try some more,experiments tomorrow.

AABAC 1 - Unknown Composer

It might be this?

AABAC 1 - Unknown Composer

It might be this?
    Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. However, when I tried to do that, playback sailed right through "D.S. al 3rd end" as if it weren't there. Is there something magic about its placement? About the double bar line?