Thread: Fourth beat chords getting cut off

Default Fourth beat chords getting cut off

Sometimes when I put a chord on the fourth beat (of a 4/4 bar), the chord suffix (-7, -7b5, etc) gets cut off or blocked by the next bar line. I made the chord symbols small but that didn't help. Is there something I'm not doing? Or is there a way around this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskrone View Post
    Sometimes when I put a chord on the fourth beat (of a 4/4 bar), the chord suffix (-7, -7b5, etc) gets cut off or blocked by the next bar line.
    UPDATE: read this:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-N-over-chords

Hi Beskrone,
    this is a compromise of the small space we have to work with. Here are some ideas:
    1 You could add an extra space into the bar (or move the barline along)
    2 Or leave off the 7 (it is probably implied anyway, at least if it is jazz) so you have F- or Fø (using jazz shorthand symbols)
    3 You might be able to use the Staff Text below and perhaps move it up (you could try it on beat 3 and move it across with spaces before the Letter name of your chord
    4 You could put a lowercase letter 'd' and a full stop '.' on the first beat of Staff text below (to indicate a dotted half-note, meaning three beats) and then put your 4th beat actually on beat 3
    5 similar to (4) above, but use (rhythm) slashes in Staff Text below, using spacebars between them indicating where the beats go.

Maybe...?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-01-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Update info