Thread: When I look in your eyes - Leslie Bricusse

Default When I look in your eyes - Leslie Bricusse

When I Look In Your Eyes - Leslie Bricusse
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-02-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Copied from elsewhere

Beautiful tune!
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Thanx a lot for this chart.. I was looking for it, and now I'm happy to have and work it..
    The only thing that bothers me is the transposition.; Gordon Beck and Helen Merrill (my favorite version) start in Dm.. If I clearly remember, Diana Kral's rendition starts in Am.. I have heard versions starting in Gm, Gbm, Em..
    Which is the officila one ? Which is the most commonly used one ?
    Thanx in advance, anyone who would take time to answer..
    And have a great day..
    Thierry

Default "Official" key

Quote Originally Posted by opus.quatre View Post
    Thanx a lot for this chart.. I was looking for it, and now I'm happy to have and work it..
    The only thing that bothers me is the transposition.; Gordon Beck and Helen Merrill (my favorite version) start in Dm.. If I clearly remember, Diana Kral's rendition starts in Am.. I have heard versions starting in Gm, Gbm, Em..
    Which is the officila one ? Which is the most commonly used one ?
    Thanx in advance, anyone who would take time to answer..
    And have a great day..
    Thierry
    A singer will prefer to sing a melody in the key that is most comfortable for their voice.
    Different vocalists, different keys. Instrumentalists may prefer a key in which it is easier for them to play their instrument.
    Jam session players often prefer their "usual" key. (Which depends on which "book" their chart came from)
    The differences may be regional. In Seattle, Django's Nuage is usually in F (thank you Pearl Django) in Portland, G (Robin Nolan's chart).
    Key selection can be a negotiation, a bandleader's edict or a concession to the singer. I always try to accommodate the singer ...within a semitone either way...
    In any case, you shouldn't worry that the jazz police will bang on your door in the middle of the night and cart you off to "jazz jail".
    If there were only one "official" way to play a song, there would be no jazz.

One of the most useful iReal pro features is the ability to instantly transpose any iRp chart to any key!
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.