Thread: Repeating sections

Default Repeating sections

OK, what am I not doing here?
    What I have written is:- twice through the tune, i.e. 1st and 2nd endings, which is OK if you only want to practice the head…
    What I would like is to have it do is repeat to 1st ending as much or little as I want so I can practice solos, and then have the 2nd ending as written become just the coda - can't seem to get that to work. Is it possible? (And yes, the tune does have an odd number of measures!)

Angela - Antônio Carlos Jobim

Control the number of repeats through the first ending with the player repeat setting. Final time, the second ending will play as the coda. Is that what you were looking for?

)BOB

Default Hmm…

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Control the number of repeats through the first ending with the player repeat setting. Final time, the second ending will play as the coda. Is that what you were looking for?

)BOB
    Maybe I'm confusing the "# of repeats" button, thinking it's a "# of times through" button, if you see the distinction…if I select 1 repeat, does it then play thru twice, i.e. once thru then a repeat?
    I'll give it a try. The fact that the tune has uneven section lengths shouldn't make a difference, right?

Thanks,
    Brian

Correct. You adjust the # of times through (before coda) in the player.
    I edited your chart to make the 2nd ending the coda as you wanted.
    Check out the version I posted.
    In the alternative, you could leave 1st and 2nd endings, set the player to play one time, and add the instruction for multiple repeats for the 1st ending within the repeat brackets (x3,x4etc) but that would require editing the tune each time you wanted to adjust the number of solos and you wouldn't get the handy reminder at the top of the chart for the final time through.
    The player doesn't care how many bars a tune has in a section.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Will check it out - thanks so much! What a fun program, and it's really useful in conjunction with MainStage 2 - I exported a tune as MIDI to Logic Express, tweaked the parts both for better voicings and more interesting drum kicks (also toned down the kick drum a bit), converted to an aiff and loaded it into MS2's Playback function!
    You lose some functionality, especially key change, but it's nice to have a personally tailored rhythm section with better syncopation…

Yeah, I know, my wife thinks I have too much time on my hands!!

OK I see, you have to anticipate the 1st Coda sign by one beat, correct?
    And on closer inspection, I see that the repeat button is actually labelled "Times" - duh! A clear case of RTFM,S…

Thanks for your help, Bob, I'm sure there'll be something else…

Brian

Found a couple of bloopers in my original - an extra measure after mm14, and the last hold is actually on a plain E major triad, doesn't resolve to tonic (!)

Place the invisible red "END" in the next to last measure of a tune to tell the player to ignore the turnaround in the last measure at the, well, end...of the song. (not required in Angela)
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Place the invisible red "END" in the next to last measure of a tune to tell the player to ignore the turnaround in the last measure at the, well, end...of the song. (not required in Angela)
    )BOB
    Yeah, figured that one out, finally…I really appreciate your advice, thanks.